Where to get Mareks vaccine?

debonatrix

Songster
Sep 5, 2022
Hello! This is not meant to start a debate on whether or not to vaccinate chicks. 😊 Where is the best place to get vaccines for Mareks? The only places I have found sell it in 1000 doses, which I don’t need anything close to that. thank you in advance! 😊🐓

Last edited:
Hello! This is not meant to start a debate on whether or not to vaccinate chicks. 😊 Where is the best place to get vaccines for Mareks? The only places I have found sell it in 1000 doses, which I don’t need anything close to that. thank you in advance! 😊🐓
They only sell it in bulk like that. They don't sell smaller amounts

It only comes in bulk, there are no smaller amounts. The industry hasn’t yet adapted to the somewhat recent fad of people raising small handfuls of backyard chickens. This used to be mostly farms on a large scale. I’ve ordered from Meyer Hatchery and Valley Vet before. Worth the investment, in my opinion, because Marek’s sucks.

I vaccinate all my chicks against Marek’s.
I either use Valley Vet or Jeffers Pet.
Both online. Cost about $30 a bottle and yes it is for 1000 chicks. Does not come in a smaller amount, believe me I’ve asked!😊
How is the vaccine administered? How long does a bottle stay good for?

how do you administer the vaccine?
There are helpful videos on youtube, look it up. Articles with pictures, too. It's not hard. The vaccine itself will have instructions on how to mix it with the diluent, and then you draw the dose and inject it under the skin behind the neck (pinch the skin up to lift it so the needle doesn't go into the muscle or spine). It's best done with two people - one holds the chick, the other injects.

How is the vaccine administered? How long does a bottle stay good for?
Once you mix it, it's only good for one hour, and you have to mix the whole amount, you can't only take out some. If it hasn't been opened yet it can be stored longer in the refrigerator. I don't remember how long, but the bottle should have that.

Back
Top Bottom