where to get my chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cocatielchick1, Nov 13, 2013.

1. cocatielchick1

cocatielchick1 New Egg

Nov 12, 2013
    Hi, I'm new to BYC and I want to know the best place to get my chickens. I live in Chicago, IL. :)

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  3. cocatielchick1

cocatielchick1 New Egg

Nov 12, 2013
    Thank you!:)

4. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Welcome to our forum!

Depends whether you want inexpensive chicks for eggs and the fun of watching them, or whether you are thinking of getting into breeding a heritage breed or two. For the former, which is what a huge umber of our members want, a feed store usually carries a small selection in the spring, and you can have them shipped from a large hatchery such as Ideal (see our sponsors button in the top band for some of them.) Otherwise, get familiar with our Breeds forum and see whether there are any good breeders near you. If you buy from a private party, watch for respiratory infection symptoms.

6. cocatielchick1

cocatielchick1 New Egg

Nov 12, 2013
    Okay, thank you. I'll try that. :)

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

8. rheston

rheston Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2013
    Philomont, VA
    My Coop
    I picked up my hens from on-line hatcheries www.meyerhatchery.com and www.mcmurrayhatchery both were recommended to me from others local to my area. I was pleased with Meyer. The post office dropped the ball on the first batch of 8 chicks and they were dead on arrival but Meyer quickly refilled my order and the chicks arrived two days after hatching, quickly adjusted to their new living area and are now 6 months old and laying regularly. I think I would do this again. I successfully advertised on Craig's list to get rid of two roosters and during the spring and throughout the summer I've seen quite a few chicks, pullets and hens up for sale there so that would be another option.

Ordering from an on-line hatchery this time of the year is iffy at best but as the season gets closer to February/March your options for more variety will improve significantly.

9. cocatielchick1

cocatielchick1 New Egg

Nov 12, 2013
    Thanks! :)

10. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC! Although I am a big fan of buying locally, I had two very positive buying experiences with Meyer Hatchery. Their help before the sale and support afterwards were excellent, and I've been very pleased with my birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by