Where to get pullets?

GeneralSV

Chirping
Apr 7, 2019
Has anybody bought any pullets online? I've watched some reviews of people purchasing pullets online, but the only issue is that the pricing plus shipping is expensive. I've reached out to my local supply store and they have 2-4 month olds for $25-30. Is this a good price or should I wait to get baby chicks once it gets warmer in MN? I want to increase my flock for eggs and enjoyment, but I've experienced raising baby chicks and you need a lot of patience.

I would just wait on baby chicks. In my experience POL pullets are nucking futs because they haven't been handled enough. I know it takes a while with chicks, but at least they are emotionally manageable and you know how old they are so you aren't getting old hens marketed as young. Plus you can get them for $1.

Has anybody bought any pullets online? I've watched some reviews of people purchasing pullets online, but the only issue is that the pricing plus shipping is expensive. I've reached out to my local supply store and they have 2-4 month olds for $25-30. Is this a good price or should I wait to get baby chicks once it gets warmer in MN? I want to increase my flock for eggs and enjoyment, but I've experienced raising baby chicks and you need a lot of patience.
A few years ago I purchased five 4-9 wk old pullets from Murray McMurray, yes, they were expensive to ship, but I needed young birds for my grandsons to interact with at spring break, the boys didn't come but the young ladies showed up on time and could go right into their new coop and run, I didn't want the RIR, but asked for a New Hampshire due to temperment issues. Other than that, if I could afford it I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I would just wait on baby chicks. In my experience POL pullets are nucking futs because they haven't been handled enough. I know it takes a while with chicks, but at least they are emotionally manageable and you know how old they are so you aren't getting old hens marketed as young. Plus you can get them for $1.
Where are you getting them for $1?! lol Like even the local people hatching are freaking crazy on their prices! $7-8+ for one chick!

I
I ordered pullets first go round. Had to pay shipping too. They were 6 - 8 weeks old. I think only option would be to combine order with neighbor, or order some extras for a friend. ?

Back
Top Bottom