Where to get small amounts of materials?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jodiemama, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Jodiemama

Jodiemama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2009
    Montevallo
    I only need a small amount of roofing paper for instance, not a whole roll.

Where can I find small amounts of materials for my coop?

I look on CL a lot, the habitat restore is too far from us, anymore places?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Have you tried posting on CL that you are looking for this stuff? If not, you might try that as well!

3. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:You might also ask a roofing contractor. They go through miles of it and might have some extra laying around. Tell them what you are building.

I know at Home Depot and those type of stores they sell broken packages too. Just for repair jobs. And if you chat them up a little one might just appear out of no where.... LOL.

Check out building sites too though usually they have them fenced off from the public.

Happy hunting

4. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    I agree with the others.

Check with roofing companies. Just be nice and friendly and let them know how much you need.

Make a WTB listing on Craigslist. Get creative. Offer to bake em some cookies (folks will probably decline the cookies, but that approach has a way of taking the edge off).

My friend claims he scored some scrap materials by walking up to some folks that were building a house with a couple beers (late in the day around quiting time).

5. Jodiemama

Jodiemama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2009
    Montevallo
    Thanks!
    DH reminded me this weekend that this might be a time we could call his father(they are not really close, so it didn't occor to me) and ask a favor.
    FIL co-owns a roofing company. Surely they have some leftovers sitting around.

We need a metal cap piece for the roof as well, but we don't need but 6ft.

6. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    put a post on FREE CYCLE....

and like others said Craigslist under MATERIALS or FREE

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by