Where to get sulmet & clorid in Bay Area, treatment for coccidiosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by milligan, Oct 24, 2009.

1. milligan

milligan New Egg

Oct 24, 2009
    We just had one 4 month old cochin die unexpectedly yesterday. We suspect coccidiosis because we found some droppings that were essentially all blood. I've read the forums on coccidiosis, but does anyone know where to get sulmet and clorid in the Bay Area? Mike's Feed can get it on thursday, but I'm afraid our other chickens may not have that long.

Also, if they do have coccidiosis, do I have to clean out all the litter in the coop and shavings in the run? Maybe just the run? The run is very wet from the recent rain.

thanks-

2. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    Corid you can usually get at a feed or farmstore. Can also order from First State Vet Supply or Jeffers. I have heard that sulmet is not a good choice, but rather sulfadimethoxine is better and safer. First State has it and an article about treatment, too. I went ahead and started mine on the Corid because that was all I had, did it for 5 days with not a lot of improvement and switched to the sulfadimethoxine for 5 days, which seemed to clear it up. Whether you use the sulmet or sulfa, be careful of dosage as it can cause kidney damage if overused.

3. milligan

milligan New Egg

Oct 24, 2009
    Thanks![​IMG]

4. dianer29

dianer29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    The corrid and the sulfadimethoxine,what is the shelf life on them? I think it would be a wise idea to have on hand especially since I am on an island that has to rely on mainland for alot of its supplies. I will need to see where to purchase them . Is there anything else I need to know about these two products ,such as how to administer when needed? Dosage? I believe either Jeffers or /and First State Vet Supply keeps it in stock yet I know not all things may be shipped in to the island(Hawaii).

5. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    I had a hard time finding corrid powder, I did find it in liquid, and used the same dose, worked wonders...alot of TSC or even some Feed stores didnt know what it was when I asked for Corrid for chickens....dahhhh

Its for CALVES...you will find it in that dept at TSC....I treated them for 5 days like it said and they all got better, I only lost 3 before I gave the meds....

ALSO THERE IS A FANTASTIC BOOK, HAD IT NOT BEEN FOR THAT BOOK IN MY HANDS I WOULDNT HAVE KNOWN COCCIDIOSIS....THE BOOK WAS RECOMMENDED BY A MAN HERE IN TOWN WHO USE TO RAISE CHICKENS FOR A LIVING. I DID A SEARCH AND EVERYONE HAD IT FOR OVER 25.00.....

EXCEPT FOR ONE PLACE IT WAS ON SALE, RANDALL BERKEY!!!! 17.99 IS WHAT I PAID ITS CALLED:

The Back yard chicken flock by Mike Strecker
    its the how to book, has how to Identify Disease and treat them

Good luck!!

6. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    If you email First State Vet Supply, Peter Brown is very good about getting back with you on questions regarding the products he has.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by