Where to get the best/most chicken coop plans!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by k2chickens, May 11, 2009.

1. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    So i have the cash...($300) and the time....all i need now are the COOP PLANS! [​IMG]

Well...i REALLY don't want to spend 300 in materials..but that is the most i have to offer. So i was wondering where were the best place to get coop plans were???

I have ran through E-BAY and have accepted that fact that im more than likely gonna have to pay for the plans...so that's fine. I think 10 or 15 bucks for direction's is a good price and well worth it over just spearheading the project myself. Here are my condition's

I have plenty of space on my farm...but will probly lay my coop on the grass in my yard. I currently have 12 chicks rangeing from 5 weeks old to 1 week old. They were all chosen to be hen's.."but as we all know" roo's tend to pop up...and as of right now i believe i have a few of them [​IMG] So the coop will have to hold at LEAST 8 to 10 laying hen's. Im REALLY attracted to the A-FRAME coop and run design.

So, that's basicly where im at in a nut shell...there is a user on here that built a BEAUTIFULL A-frame coop that you can find in the "small coop design" section here on BYC and i am thinking of contacting that person in reguards to their coop so i can build the same one. Only problem is that it was designed to hold 4 to 5 hen's when i need mine to hold 8 to 10.

I hope MANY of you guy's can point me in the right direction. Im really excited to start and i hope to start ASAP. Thank you, and i hope i get lot's of suggestion's here really soon.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2009
  2. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Just scale it up.

A small coop for 10 chickens should be no worries for $300. There are literally hundreds of ways to build a coop, so instead of "follow this plan," let me give you some "Do's." These are points you should plan for in any design, if you want success.

- Basically, build a small 8x8x6 shed with a generous roof.
    In a place like Indiana, I would like a combination roof with a generous slope. But I'd be happy with a simple shed roof and weather boards over the windows.
    - Use heavy felt and tar/cement for the roof.
    You can get fancy here, but you dont need to. Proof against the elements and water tight is what you want, simply that.
    - Insulate the coop well, in wall and ceiling.
    - Face it south on well drained soil which does not gather water after a stiff rain.
    - Use a double sheet or plank floor, to insulate from cold and damp.
    - Put it up on 12" blocks to discourage rats and mice.
    - Place 1/2" wire mesh around this open perimeter to further discourage them.
    - Place bags full of leaves or starw bales around it in the winter to insulate the bottom from blowing wind.
    - Give lots of air movement ventilation - NOT DRAFTS - and you are there.

The windows and fixtures are more important that the actual building.
    - Windows should be full fronted and adjustable, screened with poultry netting. Mount one to either sied of the door.
    - Shutter the windows with sliding or hinging shutters. Leave the top two inches open.
    You want to open them wide in fair weather and draw them in inclement or frigid.
    - You are really after a "fresh air house," one that can be tightened up for the weather/winter.
    - There is little need for YOU to luxuriate inside the coop, so give more roosting space inside.
    - The entrance door is in the middle front, as indicated already. Give it a hinged window top half, too.
    - Place the nests so they are outside, hung the length of the coop on the exterior wall.
    This makes for easy access and cleaning.
    - Interior access to nests should be through a 12" circular hole, 3" above the floor.
    - Make your roosts from 2 x 4's, edge-rounded and mounted on simple brackets, so they are removable for cleaning.
    - Use dropping boards beneath the roosts, also removable for scraping and cleaning.
    - The "pop-hole" for the chickens should be opposite the nests. Place it at floor level and make it solid wood or even metal sheet which slides in grooves, guillotine fashion. Put a chain on it so you can suspend it open, or lower it closed.
    - Make a ganplank ramp to give the birds access to the pop-hole.
    - Feed and water the birds outside as much as possible, since that is a chickens rightful place.

Final thought: you've noticed the concept of "clean" several times so far? It is your goal to make a house that is dry, weathertight and airy... AND which can be cleaned readily and quickly. Nothing suits healthy chickens as much as cleanliness.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  3. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:Just scale it up.

ahhh yes...my thought's exactly...but i have no number's to scale from...i can't seem to get ahold of the user

4. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
  5. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    what about a playhouse coop i might have some plans for something similar

6. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    I bought that A frame plan on ebay and I like it a lot! I also bought the playhouse plan. I like it too.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:If that is the one, it is a simple triangle. Go with dimensional sizes, say an 8 ft. wide base for your needs, and work from there.
    How would that work?

8. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:really??? when??? i have looked and it's not there. Do you have feedback for the transaction?? Is there anyway i can have their ebay name so i can pm them please?

Quote:wow!!! heck to the no!!! lol..thank's tho...i can get the pic of the coop i want to show you guy's what im talking about if that would help any?

Quote:sure sounds like a plan!!!

9. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    are u after playhouse plans or aframe?

10. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:depend's on how close the playhouse is to the A frame..hold on a sec...i will host the picture and post it here in my thread to show you what is in my mind.

Edit: Here we go!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by