Where to get the new babies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckyMom, Dec 27, 2010.

1. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Hey there everyone,
    We have decided to expand our little backyard flock of 2. I've decided that I will not be hatching them (far to stressful! [​IMG]) not to mention we have decided exactly what we want:
    One black runner boy
    and one runner feamale (ok. so maybe not EXACTLY what we want. but hey, there are just SO many colors to choose from!) [​IMG]
    So back to the original question, Where to get them! The idea is metzer farms so far. (we only want 2 and they are the only one i can find that will ship so few.)
    Anyone have anything to say about metzer? I have heard that their ducklings are not bad when it comes to quality. I worry about shipping. Any not so great experiences? Any really good ones? and better yet does anyone know of another hatchery that will ship 2 ducklings?
    Thanks a ton!
    Emily

2. aussiedude248

aussiedude248 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Punta Gorda FL
    Well mine just got shipped today from Metzers and will be coming on Weds [​IMG]. He said there's only a 1% of chance of them dieing but I think they will be fine (I live in Punta Gorda SW FL) so I was happy about that. I'm getting 3 male mallards ducklings. And yes they do sex them. So I think you should buy from metzers you will have to pay a mim. shipping charge for about $32.00 and 2 sexed birds $12.00 and for the 2 it will be $13.80 = $57.80 same as my 3 mallards. and if you do order from there make sure you get Grogel. Its little bowl of food they give to each bird when there being shipped. Also they have these little bands they put on the legs to indicate which ones a girl (Pink colored band) and a boy ( Blue colored band) so I thought that was kinda cool. Well hope you have fun

PS: I will post pics. Weds and tell you how they are!

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I've only used them once, but it was an excellent experience. But mine were shipped to southern AL in the heat of the summer (early August). They are pretty good quality, but not show quality by any means. But they are happy go lucky ducks and if I manage to convince DH to let me get more, I'd order from them again. (but I don't see that happening, he's still not thrilled with the ducklets).

Color bands for sexing will depend on breed. It's on the back of the shipping paperwork.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  4. aussiedude248

Oct 21, 2010
    Punta Gorda FL
    Quote:I got a question did you pick up yours at the Post office or Fedex cause IDK where to go Weds. and what time did you get the "call" to pick them up

5. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I got a question did you pick up yours at the Post office or Fedex cause IDK where to go Weds. and what time did you get the "call" to pick them up

The post office will call you. They called me at 6.30am, and i was there within 10 mins

6. aussiedude248

Oct 21, 2010
    Punta Gorda FL

The post office will call you. They called me at 6.30am, and i was there within 10 mins

Ok ares opens at 7:00 but if they arrive earlier (idk if you know this) but will someone be there I'm just gonna call tommrow too

7. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I ordered mine from Welp hatchery-----not sure what their minimum order is. The ducklings I got were healthy (I did lose one the first day, but sometimes that just happens), and have turned out to be beautiful ducks! I have one black runner left----sold the other 2 to a co-worker-----and she is probably my favorite out of the 10 ducks I have.

8. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I got our flock of baby ducks from a BYC member and they have been very healthy and I just love them. I don't know where you live, but I know many BYC'ers do have ducks!!!
    We also sell hatching eggs for our pekin ducks if you decide to incubate.... I can help with hatching tips too! Here's our first group hatch - 21 of 23 made it through!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/8875_ducklingbox.jpg

Enjoy! Have a blessed evening. Nancy

9. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Quote:The post office will call you. They called me at 6.30am, and i was there within 10 mins

Ok ares opens at 7:00 but if they arrive earlier (idk if you know this) but will someone be there I'm just gonna call tommrow too

Yep - mine isn't open for the front desk until 8 or later, but they told me where to knock when I showed up for the ducks. They called me right around 6 am and said they had a chirping box for me. When I arrived they said they peeked in and everybody was doing fine.

10. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Thanks a ton! Ive heard nothing but good things! I have been planning these guys for almost a year and was pretty nervous about shipping! So far everyone says they're duckies turned out beyond fine, but you never know... right? lol! Please do post pictures! Good luck with winter ducklings! You must be either very brave or live in a warm climate!
    Emily

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by