Where to keep Goats????

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Coco, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Coco

Coco Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2008
    We have 2 female Pygmy goats that normally stay in a fenced in area w/access to the barn. At night I put them in a stall in the barn for saftey reasons. However, we had 2 mares recently give birth and the Vet said the best place for them to birth their foals would be our "goat yard" So now our goats have been in the barn for 2 1/2 weeks. They havent had a way to go outside...the rest of our property isnt secure enough for them to be out...our 10 acres is in the middle of a busy neighborhood and they could easily get out of the "horse" fencing. Also, there's sometimes dogs that roam around the neighborhood, so it wouldnt be safe for them. Well, our last foal born just 4 days ago...has low immunities and we have to keep her and the mare in the "goat yard" isolated for that reason. The Vet said they'll have to be in that area for 6 weeks because her little system can not handle new bacteria or infections. I dont know what to do now!! Here's my questions:

1. Can the goats stay inside a barn for that long? It will be over 2 months time when it's all over.

2. Can goats go outside on a collar and a leash? And if they can, do they have to be trained?

3. Any suggestions???

Thanks!

2. mcg30_40

mcg30_40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    alabama
    I have three boer goats and all are leash/collar trained so I can tie them out in different spots to graze. It does take some training but if your goats are tame then it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I use dog collars and leashes. Just watch out for neighborhood animals coming after them while they are tied out.

Otherwise my goats stay in a pen with my chickens. It started out a dog pen so it is large enough for them to run around just doesn't have grass. That's why they are leash trained.

3. gila_dog

gila_dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    New Mexico
    If you have dogs running loose around the neighborhood I wouldn't tie the goats out. They are very vulnerable to predators. Maybe you could make an enclosure for them out of cattle panels. I like the kind that have 4" squares from top to bottom. The ones I use are 20' long and 5' high. Two of them bent around in a circle, overlapped a foot or so, and wired to eachother, and supported by T posts every 6 feet would make a very sturdy pen. To keep rain and sun off them you could also wire on a roof made of plywood and supported by a couple of T posts.

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I really like using chain link dog pen panels.

It's not healthy to keep anything cooped up in a barn that long...I'd find an alternative.

I really don't like the tying out idea. For one...I've heard of lots of injuries from goats getting a leg wrapped in the tie out and for two they're so vulnerable to predation that way.

Also, you could purchase 100' or more of dog fence (2" x 4" welded or woven wire) and t-posts and make a corral.

5. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    You can always find small, sometimes large, quanities of wire on craigslist. I'd build some sort of run for them. It doesn't have to be ellaborate, just something so they can get some sun and fresh air some each day. I suggest craigslist because this way you won't have anything financially tied up in it and can take it down when you don't need it.

I'm building all of my new projects from recycled reusable materials that I've mostly gotten off of craigslist, or freecycle. I think I've single handedly cut down the amount of metal, wire and wood in our landfill by half and the folks are always so greatful for you just to come and get those rolls of wire out of their yard [​IMG]

6. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I take about 12 goats out "brose walking" everyday. None of them are on leashes. They stay in their group and walk to different areas on the property and eat for a while, then move onto the next area they like.
    They follow the lead nanny and move along when she does....a few complain if they aren't ready to move on but they still follow behind.
    They have a big fenced in area, but really seem to enjoy their walks and I think nutritionally it is good for them. They know better what they need to eat than I do.
    When they are done they head back to a shady area in front of the barn for a drink and a nap. If I have something to do and need them to go back sooner I just head back towards the barn and call them and they all follow.
    If your pygmies are people friendly you could probably do the same thing. They should be smart enough to head back towards the barn if a stray dog shows up. I know mine have. And if they do go out front towards the road they run when they hear a car coming. But we have a dirt road with little traffic, so the goats aren't used to the sound of a car.
    You might want to try walking them on leashes the first few times out, depending on how people friendly they are. After that you could let them out loose when you are out there with them.

7. Coco

Coco Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2008
    I remembered my brother had a dog run set up in his unfinished basement so that his dog could have a place w/some room when he wasnt at home or at work. So I did some checking with him, he's going to let us take the dog run and set it up out there, so they'll have a safe place to be in. I'll still put them inside the barn at night to be safe. We have a dog igloo for them in the stall in the barn, I'll move that to the dog run so they'll have a little place to get into. Thanks for all your suggestions!!!

8. gila_dog

gila_dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    New Mexico
    Quote:That's what I do, too. My goats really love to run around and stretch their legs. It's good for them, and me, to take these outings. I take mine out into the nearby hills and canyons and let them eat wild browse mostly. Since I'm there with them they are safe from predators and other hazards. Or at least if anything happens I'm right there to deal with it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by