Where to keep them

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by duckncover, Dec 6, 2009.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I want some opinions as to if I should let one of my bantam hens stay inside tonight. I've had her in all day with the others until about 9pm and then I put them back and kept her inside because I wanted to take a picture of her. She's content and warm right now and it's 2am here. I feel like that if I through her out now that I'm mean. I've had her inside since like 11am. I mean I sure wouldn't do that to any of my other pets and this chicken is probably smarter than half of them. It's snowing outside now and I feel horrible. I let my parrot out of his cage all day everyday in my room and he poops just as often as the poor chicken does. I don't really have a cage for her unless I feel like digging (which I don't) but my bedroom has tile flooring so whatever she leaves me in the morning can be cleaned up with ease. She'll be safe there with me, I keep the door shut. I also feel bad picking favorites but it's easier to handle one chicken inside than 4 and she's the most calm and tame of the 4.

Advice please!

2. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Keep her inside for the night, it wont hurt to spoil her...and if you feel that the others are being left out, give them their favourite food for breakfast; broccoli, strawberries, that sorta stuff...

3. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    can I possibly pick your brain on treats? My knowledge is to feed them chicken pellets... teach me your ways!!

RANDOM IDEA
    I also was thinking I could let my mom's friends daughters feed them out of their hands. I mean they can't really hurt anyone and everything else I own (that's worth petting) I wouldn't trust not to take someones finger off. They purposely come to visit to see the animals so why not right. The chickens love eating out of your hands...lol.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  4. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Chicky treats? Sausages, pumpkin, crackers, lettuce, rolled oats, bugs, and basically anything else that is edible...my girls had the leftover fish and chips last night, and we feed them whatever we dont eat each morning. On top of that they have grower pellets that we scatter on the lawn and mash. So whatever you dont feel like eating that isnt particularly spicy, is not a particularly bright colour and that isnt citrus! Oh, and if its a bit hard, like a carrot, just boil it for a few minutes to get it to soften...

5. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    RANDOM IDEA
    I also was thinking I could let my mom's friends daughters feed them out of their hands. I mean they can't really hurt anyone and everything else I own (that's worth petting) I wouldn't trust not to take someones finger off. They purposely come to visit to see the animals so why not right. The chickens love eating out of your hands...lol.

I dont see the problem. If you find a problem, use broccholi - - - they can hold the root end, and the hens can have a shot at the other! I used to do the same thing when I was selling eggs at a farmers market - - - two of the girls came with me and would have a wander round the market. The kids loved feeding them, as many of them were seeing a chicken for the first time.

(edited to add) Just realized we have the same name...Hi Jay!​

6. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    oh...and see I was thinking that if I gave them that stuff they'd blow up or something. I have all of the above for my spoiled rotten parrot. I don't believe I think that this 5 dollar chicken I have here is a better pet than all of my $100 cockatiels and even my $800 amazon parrot. I mean I love the parrot but sometimes he's in a random bad mood and either gets mad at me and won't want to be bothered or bites or starts cursing me out. He's smart enough to know when to repeat those words, lol.
    ETA: yeah it's really Jacob...but if you're a daisy girl why are you named jay?[​IMG] and if you live in new zealand did you ever see a kiwi? I love them. If they weren't endangered and protected I would totally find someone that sells them...

7. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    I buy bags of wild bird seed for hand feeding. Raisins are also very popular with my bantams. Grapes, silver beet leaves, chick weed, chopped up apple, etc etc.......

8. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    thanks for the info, will cockatiel seed work?

9. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Short for Jamie...
    At least the $5 chicken wont start swearing at ya, and they definitely wont blow up...

10. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Cockatiel seeds fine too. Its just sunflower seeds and stuff, right? My girls were eating those since they were two days old...
    (edited to add) yep, seen heaps of kiwis. Hoping to see a few when I go out to Tiritiri Matangi over the holidays - - - its a protected bird reserve island.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by