Where to lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ole rooster, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I see now I have a hen laying problem. One of the RIR's, the production type has been walking around cackling like she just lay 40 eggs, but she hasn't. So instead of going in the coop like the other one, she has picked out my shed. She found a box and sat there a bit, then go up and found a spot on the floor. I got her and put her in the coop. She fussed and pecked on the door and fussed some more. No attempt to check out the nest box. So I figure she was just funnin. So I let her out. She went straight back to that spot on the floor in the shed and there sits now. I can't have her laying in there. That's where the rat snake like to stay. I'll never get those eggs. I gotta figure something out. This won't work. Anybody know how to direct her to the nest boxes?

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    mine had secret nests...I left them locked in the coop/run for longer each day...till noon, longer if needed, then let them out.
    I did this 3 times, till they get the hint...but I do have one Australorp that insists on laying in the corner of the coop on the floor, I just
    leave her alone, at least it is in the coop!

Try locking them in...she may not ever find the box, but then who knows...some are picky!

** you can also use golf balls etc...fake eggs, to encourage her to lay in the box

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I have the golf balls in the nest. I'm going to replace those with fake wooded eggs. This one particular hen has been the one that's had a "wild" streak. She won't stay in the run with the rest. If I don't let them out soon enough to suit her she flies out. She don't range with the rest. That girl is as independent minded as any female I've ever seen.[​IMG] I've also noticed when I feed them the meal worms she is the one that doesn't seem to know the range from her beak to my hand. She pinches me all the time. Just a wild girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by