Where to place a coop roost?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by churchillcoop, Jul 13, 2010.

1. churchillcoop

churchillcoop Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Innisfil Ontario
    I am in need of some advice.. I have a 3' x 8' coop for 6 hens. When I installed the roosts they were way off! I am now looking to make some in the proper locations. Even one long one across the entire length.. but where!! It seems so tight in there.. Thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4790917168/

Jeff

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I am intrigued by the slanted ladder type roosts that connect to the ceiling on the top, and have a way to hook the bottom back up to the ceiling when you want to clean, or during the day- that would save room during the day when your hens are moving around. I do not have a picture- but I think I saw it on here somewhere.

3. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a 3x4' coop with 30 teenage chickens in it. I understand crowded. I had to put mine in a spiral up from the floor (I used shelf brackets to put some on the doors even!) but I agree that the ladder perch is ideal. with the size of your coop and the number of hens, I would make a 3' wide ladder 4-5' long with one 2x4 perch every 12-18". If you mount it on hinges and put a hook on the bottom perch and a loop of rope on the ceiling, you can fold it up for cleaning. That would be ample room for that number of chickens, and the varried heights will allow them to get up easily and choose how high to roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by