Where to place coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gottadance, Mar 28, 2011.

1. gottadance

gottadance Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Wheaton, IL
    Hi all - yes, another question from moi! LOL OK, so all along I have been planning on putting the coop and run behind me three-car garage. The back of the garage faces southeast. For some reason this appealed to me - blocking from the north wind and warm sun in winter. It would be discreet. Then I did a walk around the yard with my boyfriend to look at spring plants and sort of map out with him where the coop would be and he said, oh, you're putting it back here, I thought you'd want it to be where you could see them from inside...and I started thinking - yeah, why am I going to hide them behind the garage. But now I'm wondering, where should I put them? LOL

How do I insert an image - I did a layout of my yard and would love some input. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  2. gottadance

Mar 18, 2011
    Wheaton, IL
    Ok - so here is my backyard. The area in pink behind the garage is where I originally planned to put the coop and run - the filled in area is where the coop would have been. I am now thinking that I'll put the coop/run in the blue area - with the coop still behind the garage, to cut the north winds, but the run on the side of the garage where I can see it from all of my windows. What do you think?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  3. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you are smart to think about shelter from the wind and benefits of the winter sunlight. Other things to consider are summer shade and that they are not in a wet low spot (drainage from rain and snow).
    I put mine on a back corner of my lot in the afternoon shade. I can see the run from my porch and living room windows. I set it so I can watch them and can see their roost at night if I turn on a spot light.

4. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you already have a picture of your yard showing the garage? We can imagine your coop hiding behind thwe garage, no problem.

5. gottadance

Mar 18, 2011
    Wheaton, IL
    Just posted the layout above...

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:X2!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by