where to place roosts - too many vents?!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tandpmiller, Jul 27, 2011.

1. tandpmiller

tandpmiller Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    We read the BIG OL' VENTILATION page (thanks Pat!) and made sure we made enough vents and windows for our coop (about 20 sq ft. of just vents).

We're planning the roosts and nesting boxes, but now we're running into trouble with all of the windows and vents. [​IMG]

Two walls opposite each other have vents all the way across the top of each wall. The wall we planned to place the roosts on is 5 ft tall. The vents are right under the ceiling and are about 1 ft. tall. So we have about 4 ft. to work with from the bottom of the vents to the floor.

We planned on placing two roosting boards (2x4's), horizontal to each other and about 3 ft. off the floor, across this wall. However, when the chickens sit on the roosts, that will put them directly under the vents. We've thought about moving the roosts, but all the other walls have windows or doors that would be in the way.

I don't worry about a draft in the summer, but what about winter (we're in Minnesota)? With vents along the opposite wall (wall is 8 ft. high on that side) and with windows and vents on the other walls, would we have enough ventilation if the vents above the roosts were closed for the winter?

Thanks for the help!

2. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    As far as ventilation, it sounds good. You still need ventilation in the winter. Without pictures its hard to guess, but if the vents are high enough not to allow direct drafts on the birds, that would be good, or if you can add some baffling that would allow air flow but direct any drafts upward away from the birds you should be ok. The high venting is good for summer and winter. I have large overhangs and fully vented eaves along the front and back of the coop which works well. You can lower the roosting boards, 2ft or so would be good, mine are at about 20". I also positioned my coop so low side was facing the prevailing winter winds.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  3. krickets

krickets Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    Having the chickens under the vents is okay. I think the problem comes when there is a breeze going directly across where the chickens sit (in the winter; in the summer I think they like it). If there is cold air blowing across their roosts from the vents that are on opposite walls below the ceiling, maybe during the winter you could close off the vents on just one side?
    Also, I think during the winter I would be more likely to close off the lower vents than the ones just below the ceiling. Those seem like the most effective ones for letting the moisture out, which is the biggest winter problem.

(take my advice with a grain of salt, as I haven't been through a winter with my chickens yet.)

I don't worry about a draft in the summer, but what about winter (we're in Minnesota)? With vents along the opposite wall (wall is 8 ft. high on that side) and with windows and vents on the other walls, would we have enough ventilation if the vents above the roosts were closed for the winter?​

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I have a similar setup -- roost is at 36" near the tall wall with venting the full length of both tall and short walls. They have 18" between the roost and the bottom of the high vent. There is no breeze that I can feel with the air flowing from the low to high side along the ceiling but it must be there because I see the chickens stretching up to get their beaks into that area when it's hot at bedtime. They do have to stretch, though -- it's not blowing on their bodies at all so I'm thinking it won't bother them in the winter. I also have roost-height windows across from each other that I'm leaving open 24/7 right now so they can get a body breeze in the summer (if there is any breeze to be had).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by