Where to purchase a small amount of chicken!?!?

topiteal

Hatching
Jan 13, 2017
Virginia
Looking to purchase a couple white Cochin female. I currently have 5 red sex link and now down to only 5 guinea. All birds get along well and sleep in a very nice coop. My question is, where can I go about purchasing just 2-3 chicken? I'm noticing most online dealers want a minimum and my request is far below! Any advice!?

This time of year - when hatcheries are really gearing up to start shipping, it is harder to find places that accommodate smaller orders. Later in the season, when they are a little more desperate to get rid of stock, they are more likely to send small orders. One place I have heard does small orders any time is MyPetChicken. Be advised, there is likely a "small order charge" associated with small orders. Also, sometimes hatcheries will toss in some excess males that likely won't sell (sometimes called "packing peanuts") to provide heat for the batch being shipped. Here is a link to various hatcheries and breeders that you can check out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries
Best wishes!!!

Looking to purchase a couple white Cochin female. I currently have 5 red sex link and now down to only 5 guinea. All birds get along well and sleep in a very nice coop. My question is, where can I go about purchasing just 2-3 chicken? I'm noticing most online dealers want a minimum and my request is far below! Any advice!?
Welcome to BYC. A local feed store may be best for obtaining a handful of chicks. Here in my area, they require one to buy 6 chicks minimum. It may be best to get 1-2 extras, just in case of a weak chick or if one accidentally is a male. Chick vent sexing is about 90% accurate, but occasionally one male may slip through. Be sure to read up on chick care in advance, and have your brooder read with either a heat lamp or other source of warmth. Get chick crumbles and some SaveAChick vitamins with electrolytes in case of a stressed chick.
My Pet Chicken will sell a batch of 3-4 chicks depending on your area, but they are not a hatchery, only a middleman, and it is very expensive to get small batches. It may cost the same to get 25 chicks as it is to get 7, because of having to put in a heat pack. You could then sell the extra chicks or share with friends. Be sure and get a Mareks vaccine, which costs a dollar extra. Most feed store chicks will not come vaccinated, unless you order them vaccinated there. Good luck!

Last edited:
If you want small numbers, I'd go with Eggcessive's advice and look at a feed store. They are pretty common (at least where I live) and get new chicks all the time, and also pullets sometimes. In my area, I think the minimum to buy is 2 (I'd never buy just one anyway). Also for pullets and adults, Craigslist can be a place to look.

Welcome. In addition to the advice you have been given when you go to your BYC local area, you can ask there is someone is breeding what you want and will sell a few. You can also place ads on your local feed stores bulletin board or you can get a small online order with someone else and split the order.
While I have gotten shipped hatchery birds in smaller orders and been happy with them, I do think the shipping charges are high. One place shipping is $45.00. If you're getting only five or six birds you can be paying close to ten dollars per bird for shipping.
MPC does not include extras.
If you check with your local 4-H club, sometimes kids have a poultry project and are willing to sell a few birds to make extra money.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom