1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where to purchase Black Copper Marans that lay THE darkest brown eggs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by T-Amy, Jan 28, 2014.

1. T-Amy

T-Amy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Woodhull, NY
    Looking for reputable hatcheries that sell the best and truest genetic black copper marans.
    If you have them, how often do yours lay? Do they breed well? And if they cross breed with other chickens, is the dark chocolate brown egg dominant?
    Thanks!
    Cold hardy? (worried about that big, beautiful comb)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    If dark eggs are your priority, I would forget about hatcheries altogether and look for breeders. Hatcheries are concerned with quantity rather than quality. If you look in the Buy/Sell/Trade section of BYC, you'll find BYC'ers selling eggs that are far more likely to be dark than those from a hatchery.

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  4. T-Amy

Sep 16, 2011
    Woodhull, NY
    Thanks- not having much luck in the buy-sell-trade section. Worried people will SAY their eggs are darkest to sell them & I won't know for sure.

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Amber waves sell black copper Marans chick's. I know this because I buy my silkies from them. They are Amber Waves in Norco California and they ship through out the states.shipping is one price no matter how close or how far. They ship my silkies to me.excellent quality birds.. You might want to check it out.

1 person likes this.
  6. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    If you are buying for genetics of egg color, ask the breeder to send you an egg shell. be prepared to pay the same as for a fertile egg. You want eggs from the beginning of the laying cycle as they best represent the genetics for dark egg in the hen. the eggs tend to get lighter later in the laying season, even if the hen has great dark egg genetics.
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. T-Amy

Sep 16, 2011
    Woodhull, NY
    great advice, thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by