where to put baby silkies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wanttobefarmer, Jul 10, 2010.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I have 14 adult chickens and i just bought 3 babies, 2 of wich are bantam silkies. The babies are currently in the brooder in my bathroom, but they are 3 weeks old and in Texas the temp never falls below 80 in the summer. I want to get them out of the bathroom, so how old do they need to be to mix them in with the adult chickens? Do i need to biuld a small outdoor coop for them until they are a certain age?

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    If your temps are warm they should be able to be outside now. You want to be careful mixing babies with adults. Personally, i wait until chicks have grown to about the same size as the adults. At that point i put them in a cage inside the pen of the older ones for several days to a week, so they will get used to each other, before fully integrating them. You want to be extra careful with silkies, as they could be easily killed by a peck on the head from an older larger bird.

You may want to build a small secure coop for them so they can be outside during the day. Or maybe put them in a rabbit hutch inside the pen of the older chickens. i have a small group of chicks that i'm keeping in a flight cage. i put their cage inside one of my chicken pens during the day, then move the cage into our shed at night for protection.

3. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I 2nd Colleen's thoughts. Try a dog crate, if you have one. Place it in a corner. You can move it into your run or next to the run (temperature permitting).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by