Where to put Perch and Nestbox question????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dbg99, Oct 1, 2011.

1. dbg99

dbg99 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Hi all, 2 questions, in the process of building my first coop - basically about 4m long, with a ramp going up to sheltered area for chickens and a nest box. Is it possible to put the perch under this level just above the ground or does the perch have to be on the inside??? When chickens sleep do they have to be protected from the elements? Also, we are planning on having 3 or 4 chickens....we have one large nest box (really enough room for 2 nest boxes) does there need to be a divider to separate the 2 laying areas....all we have right now is a bit of wood to separate the left side from the right side, but should the wood go up to the top of the nest box to permanently separate them? Thanks for you help!!!!

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Your bird will perch inside the brooder box bc they will not always be sitting on or laying egg. They do like to perch both inside and out. I have 2 30" bars in the brooder It is stair stepped. 1 is 6" the other is 12" high. The bed mates that are funny to watch on the perch they squish themselves all to 1 end on both poles. The question regarding the nesting boxes is chickens all collect up together anyway. but 2 nest boxes should be plenty for now. You can add more later if needed by using a little cat carry mounted on a wall or milk containers the grey ones. I see chickens make a nest on my friends tool bench. He take it down in the morning she is there sitting:) Funny little creatures....

3. dbg99

dbg99 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Hi Steve, so do I have to have a perch inside the box? Or can I only have one and have it outside under the box just above ground level?

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Perches can be almost anything as long as they like to hang out on it!! [​IMG] Great luck....... Play around with them and see what they like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. dbg99

dbg99 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Thanks Steve, appreciate the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by