1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where to put the softener in the water softener unit *stupid question*

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chick_a_dee, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Oh dear god, this has to be the dumbest question ever but we've never had a water softener unit, and were informed by our pump/well guy (he came to fix the pump about a month ago) that we really need to top it up.... WHERE ON EARTH DO WE TOP THIS THING UP? Pictures would be great!

2. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    you talking about the salt and is this an outside unit

3. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Well.. it's kind of outside lol, it's sitting in the "cave," under our house... has a door and stuff but it sits on dirt.

4. Bi0sC0mp

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    well if its the round tall type and takes salt the top comes off and salt goes in there.. kind of hard not realy knowing which one you got

5. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    If you could get a look at it, you might be able to see a name brand, and maybe even a model number. And use that info to look online.There should be some sort of tank that opens to put the salt in. If all else fails, the well guy should be able to tell you how to fill it.

6. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Okay... I just went down there with the salt.... Its two tanks, tall and square... one opens at the top and it had water in the bottom of it.. since the other didnt open, that is the one i assume it is! ... I'm not sure how much you're supposed to put in.. but since it looked empty its likely better than it was before haha.

Also I believe it is by Aquafine or something similar to that.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  7. Bi0sC0mp

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    the one with the water is where it usaly goes it needs to be filled to the top..

8. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:perfect thank you very very much, i'm heading into town tomorrow and will pick up a truckload of salt for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by