Where to put the THERMOSTAT??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Doormantnt, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I'm in the mist of building a redneck bator out of a mini fridge. I have the light and fan (computer fan) roughly placed, and I am also wiring in a GFI outlet (always hot for nightlight, and to power fan). But I am using a water heater thermostat, and not sure where to put it. I can put it behind the light and fan on the back of the fridge, or on the other side where the eggs will be. Am I right in assuming there should be limited "hot" spots as long as the fan is moving the air. If so it shouldn't matter right??

This is my first attempt at a bator, and hatching. I have the know-how of the construction, and wiring...but not sure of the specifics of an incubator...

Also, where to put "humidity" trays, under egg flooring, or closer to light??

Thank in advance for the insight, and knowledge.

TNT

2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Generally the humidity tank/pan/vat/ or what ever you want to use is under the egg flooring.. The flooring is generally made of a wire mesh.. Thermostats in an incubator that is a forced air type (with a fan) generally need to be away from the fan, and about 1-2" above the eggs. It needs to be in a place that the circulated air comes into contact with it, but not directly through the fan. Also the fan doesn't need to blow directly on the eggs. If you mount the fan high in the incubator, it needs to blow Up so that it circulates the air... Low mounting point it downwards but away from the eggs.

With home made bators it will just be a trial and error situation. Don't mount anything for good until you have tested and checked temps.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

4. Doormantnt

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Thanks for the replies, both yall...I appreicate it.

I'll check the video out.

Thanks
    TNT

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:You're in Maryland and say Y'all? Love it! the link rebel has for his confederate money farm is so awesome it's in my signature now

6. Doormantnt

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Yeah, I was born and raised in MD, but brought up by some good folks from Arkansas and Ok.

Rebel, thanks for the videos. I appreciate the knowledge on this site. Yall do alot of my research and development for me...LOL...but I still gotta tinker....

TNT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by