Where to put the turkey???

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by MrsMcCluck, Feb 2, 2015.

1. MrsMcCluck

MrsMcCluck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2015
    I've just posted in the geese section regarding keeping Ducks and geese together, and as I hit send I thought of the turkey.

She has been kept with the ducks and geese before but now I'm wondering (after quarantining) should I put her with the chickens?

All poultry will be free ranging so it's only for nights/ awful weather.

I've read about Blackhead and asked locals and no one here has suffered from it. I plan to worm her regularly to keep any risk of infection down.

The options are in with the ducks and geese, in with the chickens or build her a house for one until I can get her a friend?!

Thanks

2. maxsgoldens

maxsgoldens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    west Yorkshire, UK
    I have turkeys, chickens, guineas and ducks. I have two houses. One has 8 ducks and 2 turkeys and the other two ducks, chickens and guineas. I worm the chickens and ducks every 6/7 weeks. They are free range except for when being wormed.

3. MrsMcCluck

MrsMcCluck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2015
    Thankyou for replying.

Can you explain why you separate them the way you do?

I'm still wondering where the Turkey would be best put. My feeling is she's be dryer in with the chickens and have a better roost, but I'm still worried about blackhead....but they will all free range together long term anyway?

4. maxsgoldens

maxsgoldens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    west Yorkshire, UK
    I do because that's how I've always done it to be honest. Although I love them as pets, like feathery dogs they can get nasty with chickens, but they don't bother ducks. And my guineas can bully them. All depends on the individual turkeys though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by