Where to put Thermo/Hygro

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by eestep8, Mar 13, 2009.

1. eestep8

eestep8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I have an LG and I bought the Thermo/hygro ($7) from walmart, where do I put it in the bator? do I put the eggs around it or just next to it?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I always set my Thermometer/Hygrometers in the back of the bator so I can see and read them easily from the front without opening the bator .

3. Enselle

Enselle Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2008
    I use that little dent in the "front" (even though nobody uses it as the front because the cord comes out there and plugs into the wall, so it's usually backwards). Before you put any eggs in the bator, feed the wick through the screen 4-6 inches away from the side, with plenty of wick lying in the inner water ring or trough (or whatever you want to call it). Use a pair of hemostats to pull the wick all the way up over the hygro and close the bator over where the hygro and the hemostats meet. The hemostats hold the wick on nice and tight and its bulk keeps the hygro from drooping and twisting. Read the dry bulb/wet bulb chart that came with your hygro, or find one on line, it's helpful and you won't freak when the temp seems low.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by