Where to put water in winter?

oeander

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2015
This will be my first winter with chickens in New England. I have had the water in the enclosed run but when it got cold I put it inside the coop a few weeks ago. But it has just been making the coop too wet. So today I moved it back into the run, with a heat puck in it. The first half of our run has a roof (other half is just covered in wire), and today I wrapped that first half in plastic for wind protection. On three sides. Will they really go out there to get water? We are getting our first snow tomorrow and I'm just concerned they won't want to go out. Or will the need for water take over? I don't want them to die
of dehydration! Where do you all have your waterers? Particularly in winter...thanks!

What kind of waterer do you have? I keep my waterer in the coop during the winter on an old upside down drawer. I bring it inside at night for it to thaw. You can also just have two waterers and alternate them as that works also. Here is a pic of my waterer. It is actually the other one that I have so it is kind of dirty as I don't use it any more.

I have a hanging bucket with nipples. The nipples don't leak on their own but when they drink there are always drips. Maybe I need something less leaky in the coop for winter. Are there any waterers that you can fill from the top (other than the nipple buckets?). I hate the ones that you have to turn upside down and take apart.

I'm in Massachusetts and I keep my feed and water out in the run. Last winter I used a heated dog bowl for water. This year I'm using a 5 gallon bucket with horizontal nipples. Had to kick the side of it to break the layer of ice this morning so I'll probably be tossing the heater in today. My covered run is wrapped but I use clear tarps so I keep one side open as long as it is not snowing or too windy. My birds use the run all winter long. It has to be super stormy with wind really buffeting the run for them to want to stay inside the coop.

Thanks! It's funny how much I worry about them :) Who would have thought! I watched them for a bit this morning, all prepared to put water back in the coop, but I have seen all but one chicken out in the run, drinking water, so I feel a lot better. That one will brave going out once it gets thirsty enough I guess. I had thought about the heated dog bowl also. Thanks for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom