Where to rent a plucker? or, any for rent in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by watchdogps, Oct 20, 2011.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I saw a ;post that said sometimes you can rent a plucker. Where would I look for a rental plucker?
    Or, is there anyone near Bucyrus who would rent me theirs?

2. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Do you have 2 hands? Why put that bird through something which will highly likely bruise the meat.?

3. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Considering pluckers are used for any commercial meat birds, and bruising would be aproblem there, I doubt a plucker will bruise.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    If it bruises the meat, why do so many people use them? I wish I had one. If you find one to rent in Ohio let me know.
    Michele

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I bought a plucker and I'm not about to rent it out. There is no telling what disease germs it would come home with. Or even if it would come home. However, not everyone is like me, so an ad on craigslist asking to rent one might get you a private party willing to let you use theirs for a bit of cash.

I've never seen a plucker at an equipment rental yard, but you could call around. Maybe they have them but don't put them out for the public to see.

Also, call the extension agent and ask. He might know where to get one.

If it is used correctly, it does not bruise the meat.

6. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    If you bleed the bird out, then nothing left to bruise......

7. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    You only have to pluck if you want the skin. Otherwise you can skin it faster and easier. I know my family we remove the skin from chicken that we buy from the store so when I process my own I'm just gonna skin them.

8. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Try the agriculture extension office. We bought a plucker paid for itself 1st run of chickens no bruising.

9. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:This is a myth, without any blood in the birds body... the meat isn't bruised. With proper aging time, a hand plucked bird is no different than one that has been run through a plucker.

10. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    As far as renting a plucker, not many out there. I know for one, that I couldn't rent mine out as it's hard to know what shape it may come back in. However my biggest fear would be diseases.

I would hand pluck or find a local processor. There are a few good ones here in Ohio, Aden Troyer of Pleasant Valley in Baltic is one that I would recommend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by