Where to scatter DE/Sevin/ProZap etc.?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jmc, May 20, 2011.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Do you scatter it all over the floor as well as in the corners and bases of walls?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I prefer the liquid permethrin myself to treat the coop. I use dust for the chickens themselves, and occasionally the nest boxes.

I shake DE everywhere about every 2 days, lol.

Wear mask, etc!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    After I rake out the soiled hay inside their house, I liberally sprinkle sevin dust on the floor. I then use the leaf blower on it and "poof," the dust get inside the tiniest cracks everywhere. When the dust settles, I put fresh hay inside their house and very lightly sprinkle sevin dust on the hay and pat it down with a broom to get it settled. I started doing this 6 years ago and havnt had a lice/mite problem whatsoever.

4. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    thanks, dawg; wish i had a leaf blower!

BUT, I can't see how the birds can NOT ingest Sevin...............??? Apparently they don't, since so many people dust the birds with it, but......................

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:The birds are up on roosts, no chance to breathe/ingest it since it has all settled under the hay. They walk out in the mornings and stay outside all day, no contact with sevin dust. They go back inside and lay their eggs and then head back out... miminal sevin dust contact. Then they head in back in for the evening...the cycle is repeated daily with no issues. ETA: As far as dusting them individually if there's there lice or mites on them, I put them in a pillow case with their heads sticking out and gently 'shake and bake.' I then take them out of the pillow case and rub a little sevin on their neck and head without getting the dust in their eyes and nostrils. I then release them, they shake themselves and go on about their business.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  6. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    I liberally mix DE (food grade) with the dirt I put in the play pool for the chickens to bathe in. I also sprinkle it in the hay and pine shavings I fill the coop with. I don't sprinkle the ground of the run with it, as the chickens like to eat all the "creatures" they discover there and I don't want to take away their fun. I have a leaf blower, I may try doing that in the hen house. They don't mind the spiders - but I do!

7. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    thanks again!

i wonder about trying a 'duster' thing you can buy at the feed store to 'broadcast/dust' the inside of the coop.?

thoughts??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by