1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHERE to sell/ HOW to sell our eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamatink7, Oct 2, 2016.

1. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    I've been getting enough eggs now each day to sell!!
    Got our price
    Getting labels made this week
    Where do I advertise? Do ya'll have a sign in the yard on selling days? Or let people know some other way?

2. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

A very visible yard sign is a must.
    Word of mouth advertising is awesome.

Look up egg selling laws in your state before you start selling.

3. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    thank you. We are in Ohio and I pretty much have the selling laws down pat now. Do you have a sign all the time or do you have certain days each week that you sell them? A lady by my parents have 2x a week to sell eggs and you don't get eggs any other day plus all her eggs are sold before hens even lay them.

4. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    @mamatink7 I would sell them to friends & coworkers first so you can supply regularly @reasonable price tell them you just want to recover cost of feeds.

We have approximately 7-8 families we supply our eggs to regularly, and have 2-3 occasional standby buyers, we refuse to sell to strangers that doesn't appreciate the work and care we put on our flock and eggs. We don't have any sign on our yard.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I go by word of mouth. Work, school, church, etc. I just let folks know I have eggs and usually sell all I have that way.

Lots of folks sell at the road/gate. Set up a good sign, put out a cooler and go on the honor system. Seems to work for them. Take down the sign when you don't have eggs. I don't do this because I live on a busy highway with no good place to pull over, so geography is against me [​IMG].

If I have too many to sell by word of mouth, I put an as on CL. The farm and garden section is pretty safe in my area, not a bunch of freaky/scary folks. They can come to my house, or more often we meet somewhere (the local feed store is a popular place, so is a large church parking lot or good ol' Wal-Mart).

6. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    thank you. I'm hoping to get the initial start up customer based first then go from there.
    Hubby says not to do anything major till we get a dozen each day or most days. Today was first day at 11. I agree on your thoughts on not selling to strangers & I will keep it in mind.
    We are going with 4$ a dozen/ 2$ half/ 5$ for 18

7. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    good idea. Not sure about the honor system but I'm home unless hospital appts for the kiddos. Thank you, so many folks know we're getting eggs so now waiting to sell them is the ticket.

8. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    We started on craigslist. After a couple weeks doing that, we found that same people coming back on a regular schedule- pricing wise we set ours with the price of other ads in the area, and as the flock got bigger, word of mouth took care of the rest.

It might take a bit- but having an enjoyable customer base makes it worthwhile- the folks that want to haggle aren't the ones to hang on to. Those are the ones that think we're getting eggs for free- they tend to forget that we feed all the chickens every day, whether they laid an egg or not. [​IMG] And even once we're breaking even on the feed bill, that there's still the matter of the mortgage on their chicken mansions...

9. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    I heard about CL ads. Thank you. Very true. A pharmacist at cvs thinkso we were going to give her 18eggs for free just cause she gave us a carton...NOT!

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

I've found folks are thrilled to give you egg cartons. Even if they don't want to buy eggs, people hate to throw things away in this day. I have people happily saving up egg cartons for me until I have to beg them to please stop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by