1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where to sit the thremostat??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Barnyard, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Hey all! I am new to this bator thing and I need help.
    I have a Acu-rite temp/hum. tester and I need to know when I put my eggs in the bator where is the best place to sit the tester? I have a auto-turner, but I do not have it in there right now cause I was trying to get my temp/hum where it should be, so it is just laying in the bottom on the wire. As of last night my temp was staying between 99.5-99.9 and the humidity is at 46%. Any advice will surely help!! Thankyou!

2. cadman68

cadman68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2007
    Middle TN
    The best spot for your therm/hygro is at the same level as the eggs are, i usually leave a couple eggs out of the turner and put my therm/hygro there. That is for a still air incubator, if you have a forced air incubator then it won't make a difference since the fan circulates the air which helps eliminate differences in temp inside your bator. does that make sense?

3. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    yes it makes since! I have a forced air bator. Thankyou so much for the advice!! One other qustion,
    When I put the auto turner in do I need to take the wire out of the bottom of the bator or leave it in?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  4. cadman68

cadman68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2007
    Middle TN
    leave it in

5. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    OK thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by