1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

where to store hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jessicayarno, Oct 7, 2011.

1. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I want to incubate some of my laying hens eggs, but will have to store them for a few days to have enough to start. Where is a good place to store them until i am ready?

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Pointy end down in an egg carton in a cool cupboard. Preferably at around 55F but definitely below 70F. If you're going to be storing them for more than a week, turn the eggs once or twice a day by tipping the carton up and leaning one end on a thick book or something similar...

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I usually store in a cool place , mostly the lowest shelf in the coolest room in the house. But you have to consider that hens lay one egg a day that sits in a nest til she has enough to sit on. No matter the temp.

4. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    That's what i was thinking as far as a mamma that sets... she doesn't store them at 55 degrees and will sometimes hatch out 10 babies from 10 eggs. I do have a basement, so i can store them down there and i am sure they will stay cool enough for a week... Thanks for the info...

5. AV Brahmas

AV Brahmas Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    The Great White North
    Quote:Now see, if I was as evil as you think I could have a LOT of fun with that question! [​IMG]

You do seem to pick and choose your answers to get the response you want and not necessarily the best one. I think the best response was the one that referenced 55 degrees. Eggs held at that temperature are no way going to commence incubation and should hold very well. Start getting up toward the 80's and you may get some slow cell division. Kill that tiny zygote and your egg will rot.

The hen does manage to hatch a good percentage most of the time...although I have seen 100% losses too. She tends to lay in dark places. Our best hens lay right on the ground inside of special low buildings provided just for that purpose. You would be amazed how cool they stay there. I think a consistent cool temperature is the key. Your idea of using the basement is excellent and is, by the by, exactly where I store mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by