Where to water and feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by darbywpd, Apr 24, 2011.

1. darbywpd

darbywpd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Where should the water and feed be kept? I have been told that it should never be in the coop, only outside. I will have a 4X8 coop with a 10'X15' run. I plan on only having them shut in the coop at night. What are your thoughts? In or Out?

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Any way can work, I personally keep food inside to keep it dry and the water outside so I don't get the bedding etc. wet. Some people have problems with animals stealing food when it is kept out side.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  3. darbywpd

Apr 22, 2011
    How do you handle the water during winter?

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I keep the food & water inside the coop, which stays open all day.

While the chickens are free ranging during the day, I also have another waterer outside.

I do not put extra food outside since I don't want to purposely attract other critters,
    but the chickens gather bugs and they also wander inside the coop throughout the day to eat their food.

It's whatever works best for your situation.

[​IMG]

5. Cats Critters

Quote:My coop is too far from electricity to run a water heater out, so I use a black tug thing that dumps out easily.

6. darbywpd

Apr 22, 2011
    Same here, my coop will not have electricty. What is the "black tug thing"?

7. Cats Critters

Quote:I'm mean tub, I can't spell tonight [​IMG] Here is a picture of it when it was new:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by