Where's my eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JLS, Jun 4, 2010.

1. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I have 1 year old hens (10). They laid better this winter than they are now! I have installed a light to come on at 4:30am. The other day I collected 9 eggs in one day but that was a freak occurance! Mostly I collect 4 or 5 a day! One has gone broody on me. I take her out of the box several times per day. For weeks she's been this way. Now my other ladies have been laying on the floor, some times in the corn bucket, twice I found an egg outside!

I am really upset about this. They were so good at laying and laying where they were suposed to. Where are the eggs going? I feed them the very best. They have oyster shell in a feeder available 24/7. I give them corn and wheat as regular treats., food scraps, they have a big fenced in yard with lots of grass. As far as I can tell, they have more than the basics. Any ideas???

2. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    How many boxes do you have? Maybe add more. [​IMG]

3. Tamrajh

Tamrajh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    West Haven
    I have 24 hens, all less than 2 years old, and get 1 egg a day. When you figure it out, please tell me!

4. JLS

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    Quote:I have enough boxes for 25+ hens. They are oversized because my ladies are larger birds.

I did notice a large garder snake yesterday in the run. I watched with anticipation of a battle to see who would get the snake, but the girls just looked at it and after some time it retreated under the coop. I do not believe that garder snakes eat eggs though.

I haven't seen any evidence of any animals getting into the coop during the day. I lock my ladies up tight at night. Should they be laying more or am I worrying too much? I hope I'm not being greedy!

5. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    The weather has alot to do with how and when they lay. To hot out and they will quite laying. I have 50 two yrs and under. I was getting 40 a day for a long time and now I get around 30. But we have been getting 90 + degrees during the day. Thet may also be molting. I would not worry to much

6. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    Maybe you are giving them too many treats and lowering their protein intake. Maybe they have a secret nest somewhere in the grass.
    Or maybe you have some egg eaters......

7. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Garter snakes will eat eggs if other food sources are low. It could be a possible culprit.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Have you checked your hens for mites? Itchy, scratchy, unhappy hens don't lay well. Also, be sure and keep the treat amounts real low.

9. kudzu vine

kudzu vine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    Olive Branch MS
    You might want to read my post "Want More Eggs?". I told what I did to get more eggs and it's working.

10. JLS

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    Quote:They are looking pretty shabby as of late! But I didn't think they would molt until after summer?? I did have 2 "Ms. Hannable Lecters" that I re-homed. Since then, there hasn't been any pecking issues, And yet they have a lot of down feathers showing - not to mention the baboon bums!!! Uhgg! I haven't noticed any mites either. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by