1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where's my egg's?????????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cherpycherpycheepcheep, Oct 18, 2011.

1. cherpycherpycheepcheep

cherpycherpycheepcheep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    I have 3 Light Sussex, 3 Bantams and 2 cockerels, all around 3 years old. In April this year, 2011, I introduced 3 new birds to my flock. 1 cockerel and 2 Cream Legbar Hens. One of my bantams then disappeared, and turned up 3 weeks later with 8 chicks. I later sold my 2 L/Sussex cockerels as they kept fighting. My old girls were still laying around 1-2 eggs per day between them, but now I haven't had any eggs in the nesting boxes for over 3 weeks. My Legbars are now about 28 weeks old and I haven't seen any eggs off them, and the chicks are about 18 weeks old, and I was wondering when the mother hen should start to lay again? Also thought I'd mention, my chickens are free range and run in a large medow with our 7 geese, and that the weather has been atrocious, one minute hot and sunny the next it's blowing a gale with winter storms inc sleet and thunder?? Any suggestions as to where my eggs are????

2. blazensasha

blazensasha Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Old Miakka,FL
    Some of those birds might not be ready to lay yet.the older ones could be moulting or they're hiding those eggs in the meadow

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yup, likely in the meadow. Little Boy Blue comes blow your horn..... sorry.[​IMG]

4. Chickadee55

Chickadee55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Central Florida
    My 6 hens are 7 months old and they usually give me 5-6 eggs a day. They free range most of the day but always go back to their nests to lay. I did, however, find one egg under a bush once. If your hens are out all day they are probably hiding their eggs so predators don't get them. Grab up you easter basket and go looking. [​IMG] You might try to pen them up if you plan on having eggs with your bacon. [​IMG]

5. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Howdy,

Our Speckled Sussex molted in late summer and stopped laying. Her molt is about done (although I still find feathers), but she hasn't returned to laying, so you're not alone with asking, "where the eggs!?"

- Mark

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by