Where's my poop people at?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ashlyn and Chicken, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Ashlyn and Chicken

Ashlyn and Chicken Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2017
    East Coast, Florida
    Poop from a 3 week old Cochin bantam. Looks bloody to me. Chick is acting ok, active, eating, etc.
    Ideas or suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is pretty bloody. I might get some Corid (amprollium) powder or liquid from your local feed store. If you see another poo like that, or if she acts sleepy, hunched, or is not drinking, then I would start treatment for coccidiosis. Dosage is 1 1/2 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water changed daily for 7 days. Treat all of them at once. It is a safe medicine to use.

Wyorp Rock and MAchicken105 like this.
  3. Ashlyn and Chicken

Ashlyn and Chicken Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2017
    East Coast, Florida

We've been feeding medicated starter and started Corid when we found the bloody poo.
    Her next 2 poops after this picture was normal though.
    Could it be something else or just continue with the Corid treatment?

4. ChickenMama6RIR

ChickenMama6RIR Overrun With Chickens

I had some chicks that would do that after something different happened. Like, letting them go outside for their first time, ECT. I have mine 1 table spoon of apple cider vinegar for one gallon of water.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You have received good advice from @Eggcessive.

There's no way to know if it's something else without testing.

I will say this IF she were mine, I would continue the Corid treatment for 5-7days. Corid is mild and is fairly safe when giving the correct dosage.

Corid is the only thing that should be in the water during treatment. If you want to add things in later, wait until you are finished. I recommend after you finish the course of treatment that you offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/yogurt for a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by