Where's my stinkin' eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by louis, Sep 13, 2009.

1. louis

louis Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Texas Hill Country
    I have 6 RIR pullets who are 30 weeks old and 7 NHR pullets at 22 weeks. The RIR are beautiful with red, fully developed combs and wattles. A few of the NHR are, too. I got my first egg 6 weeks ago and have been getting one measly egg a day since. They free-range so I figured they found a spot somewhere to lay so I cooped them up for three days about two weeks ago and gave up because after three days I didn't have a single egg! Even my one dependable layer went on strike then. This is killing me! All the care and feed so far and almost no return without resorting to processing a bird. I guess all I can do is coop everybody up until I get eggs regularly but I'm not sure how many to expect. I would love any advice! If needed I'll post some pics or more info.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm asking the same question. 20 and 30 weeek old Ameraucanas and no eggs.

We will worm them this week and see if that helps in a couple of weeks.

3. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    Mine are only 20 weeks and I'm tired of waiting. I have a little mantra I say to them to try and motivate them:

"Egg, Eggs, give me eggs. I take eggs or your legs."

I think they know that Idon't mean it because they just look at me like I'm nuts.

4. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Try posting this picture enlarged to 8x10 on the coop wall and see if it makes a difference:

[​IMG]

5. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Quote:Be careful what you say to them..... My husband was getting frustrated with ours and was telling them they were gonna go to freezer camp if they didn't lay some eggs. Well, we didn't get any! He started a new job where he is gone for a couple weeks at a time, and they started right after he left. Now I get about 6 a day and steadily increasing. Yesterday I got 7. [​IMG] I talk all sweet to them and they seem to like it much better than threats.

6. louis

louis Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Texas Hill Country
    I like the mantra idea. I've actually been using both sweet and sour motivation for a while now: usually sweet in the morning and then sour in the evening when there's no eggs. They're locked in the coop for now and I've decided that's where they'll stay for at least a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by