Where's the best online place to buy rabbit food?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by johnnyInterested, Nov 30, 2008.

1. johnnyInterested

johnnyInterested In the Brooder

Nov 28, 2008
    For a meat rabbit, where (and what) should I buy for their food - on an online store? Thank you.

2. chickiepoo2

chickiepoo2 In the Brooder

Nov 11, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    A feed store is best.....unless you get free shipping from an online store. If that's the case let me know. I would buy regular rabbit pellets with the highest protein percentage. Everyone else will of course have their opinion. I don't do supplements or anything extra and I've had no problems. In Chas SC area I pay almost $15/bag.........needless to say I'm getting out [​IMG] Good luck

3. johnnyInterested

Nov 28, 2008
    Quote:How long does the $15 bag last and for how many rabbits? Thanks for the help.

4. chickiepoo2

Nov 11, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    I feed my rabbits one cup per day. All pregnant and nursing does get 2-3 cups per day and babies are free fed. I have 7 breeders and babies vary from time to time. I think I buy 2 50lb bags every two weeks. That does depend on how many babies I have at the time. Every other month I buy more food.... it follows the breeding cycle. I've had them for 2 yrs and a bag used to be at most $9!!!!!!!!! So like I said in one other post I'm trying to sale some of the rabbits. Are you just getting started or researching? Good luck

5. johnnyInterested

Nov 28, 2008
    Quote:I have been researching some but have not committed to getting them yet. These are for meat rabbits and I need to think about what I am getting into.

6. chickiepoo2

Nov 11, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Mine are for meat.....I couldn't understand why anyone would want a rabbit as a pet?! Start up cost are expensive, wire for cages, feeders, waterers, rabbits, food, nestboxes etc. I found this to be a helpful website http://rudolphsrabbitranch.com/. When I feed tonight I'll try to remember to weigh one cup of pellets and see if that you help for how long feed "should" last.

7. obsessed

obsessed Songster

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I have six meat rabbits. I pay 13 for 50 lbs. It lasts around two weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: