1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where's the best place to get chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wyndotte lover, Oct 28, 2015.

1. wyndotte lover

wyndotte lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Mississippi
    I got slw from Murray McMurtry hatchery but a lot of them died on the way

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sadly enough chicks frequently die in transit regardless of their source. Most TSC or local feed sources carry Wyandottes in the spring.

1 person likes this.
  3. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on sourland; if you purchase chicks from TSC or local feed stores, you can at least see the condition of the chicks that you are buying. If you do order from a hatchery, I would suggest ordering from the one that is closest to where you live so that the chicks do not have to travel as far in the mail. Besides Murray McMurray, I have ordered chicks on multiple occasions from Ideal Poultry in Cameron, Texas, from Cackle Hatchery in Lebanon, Missouri, and from Dunlap Hatchery in Caldwell, Idaho. I have been happy with the birds and service of all of these hatcheries and have (amazingly) never lost a chick in shipping from Dunlap Hatchery (of course I don't know how far you are from Dunlap).

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  5. TBirdsTheWord33

TBirdsTheWord33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Ohio
    Welcome to BYC! You can ask that question of ten different people and get ten different answers. I've gotten chicks and ducklings from Townline (Rural King), Murray McMurray, and Meyer. All 41 birds are alive and healthy. In my limited experience, MMM and Meyer (especially Meyer!) have excellent customer service (I've never dealt directly with Townline, so I can't offer an opinion on that one.) Of the three, I favor Meyer because they're within driving distance and have a great selection of breeds. I hope this helps!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  6. gander007

gander007 Overrun With Chickens

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

7. wyndotte lover

Oct 26, 2015
    Mississippi
    Thanks

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

9. wyndotte lover

Oct 26, 2015
    Mississippi
    Do you any eggs incubating I'm on day 15 not long to g

10. TBirdsTheWord33

TBirdsTheWord33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Ohio
    I've only had chickens for 11 months and haven't incubated yet, though I'm itching to. One of these days I'll have some extra coop space and money... haha! I'm excited for you and hope it goes well. What breeds do you have in there?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by