Where's the Chicks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickadee55, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Chickadee55

Chickadee55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Central Florida
    Now that I have a coop, I can't find any chicks. [​IMG] I was going to order some on-line but since I'm new at this I don't want the minimum of 12. I only want to start out with 5 or 6. Every time I go to the feed store to buy them. They are sold out. I tried to order them through the store but they said they are having a hard time getting them from the hatchery. Anyone else having a hard time? [​IMG]

2. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    mypetchicken.com will do small orders.

next time you're in the feed store (or call), ask about ordering the breed you want. you may have to wait a month or so, but ... it's an option to explore.

3. spaceapple

spaceapple Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Ann Arbor
    You can also get just a few from Meyer. Both they and My Pet Chicken have a minimum of three; they use a heat pack to keep them warm enough during the trip.

4. paul65

paul65 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    SW Pennsylvania
    I like Ideal but they are sold out of almost everything. You only have to spend 25$ that counts shipping.

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I got my girls at a feed store. They have several varities come in through out the season.

6. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Maybe look on CL? Most of the feedstores around here post in the farm and garden section when and what times they are having chick day. Usually takes place on Saturdays.

Plus there are alot of people around here that are selling chicks on CL...

Cackle Hatchery also does small orders..

7. Jake1297

Jake1297 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Western Maine
    Starting out with 5 or 6? Good luck with that. I said the same exact thing and two months later had 14, a year later 28, and I now have 21 in the incubator. Must be that chicken math everyone is talking about. [​IMG]

8. Chickadee55

Chickadee55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Central Florida
    Quote:I definitely want more than 5 or 6 but I'm new to the chicken world and if I can keep five alive, I'll try for more.

9. chick-n-momma

chick-n-momma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Garrett County, Maryland
    Quote:[​IMG] me too!!!! I started with 6 a little over a week ago.....thought thats all I wanted.....untill............I saw the adorable EE's in the bin the other day. Today I have 12...and I am confident if I saw another bin full of cuties, I'd have more!!!!!!!!!!!

10. catchthewind

catchthewind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    I said 4-6 hens, and now have 23 chicks. [​IMG] The only thing stopping me now is our coop holds a maximum of 20. Good thing they'll be free-ranging all summer and we won't be keeping most of the roosters, so should be down to more like 12 before the weather gets bad again. (And some of them are bantams.) I joked to my husband about building a bantam coop next spring and he started discussing ways to expand our current coop, which isn't even finished built yet! Chicken math, if I didn't believe it before I sure do now. I think it wouldn't matter how big our coop was, I'd have it full in no time. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by