1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where's the craziest place one of your hens has ever hatched chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TrystInn, Sep 23, 2010.

1. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    This morning I heard a peep and looked under the shed coop and wouldn't you know, there were five little chicks popping around with our Scarlett. I knew she was brooding under there, she couldn't possibly have done so where it would convenient for me, of course! I waited until the end of a rain and wind storm until this afternoon and managed to nab the little family and get them tucked in the pen where I can protect them.

Mamma Scarlett is a lovely Rhodie, Daddy Big Blue is a Splash Cochin - all five take after Daddy, Cochin poofiness and feathered feets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So where's the craziest place you've ever had a broody mamma hatch her clutch?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Floorboard of my pickup. Right in front of the driver's seat. Anytime I had to use the pickup I had to drive with the broody on the floor between my feet. Once I stopped at the gas station to refuel. I forgot about her and left the door ajar. I turned around to see my chicken wandering around beside the truck. Before I could figure out what to do about getting her back in, she pooped and then hopped back in the pickup and settled herself over her eggs. I got in, shut the door and off we went.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:OMG thats funny!

Trystinn -great photos those chicks are beautiful!!!

4. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    I'd say Cassie already wins this one.... [​IMG]

6. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    Those are beautiful chicks! [​IMG]

7. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    she made a "nest" under the roost.....wierd spot considering all the poop that falls right there...I put a box over her to keep the poop from dropping on her. She hatched 11chicks out of 11 eggs there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by