1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where's the grammar police??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    OK Let's review:

'Their' means something which belongs to some one. "I like their chickens."
    'They're' means they are as in "They are crazy about chickens."
    'There' means a place. "My chickens are over there!"

Seen instead of have seen. I have seen those chickens before .
    I saw those chickens yesterday.
    If the word "seen" is in the sentence as a verb there must be a "have" in there too.

OK class all done now! Get back to your chickens!

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    The grammar police ARE right here. You used 'Where's' which is an abbreviation for 'Where is' - instead of 'Where are' and that's a pluralization offense. That'll be 20 'Hail Renee's!!!!!!'

[​IMG]

Although I do definitely have major issues with the grammar and spelling around here, lately, I only hold myself accountable as the grammar nazi. I forgive everyone else.

[​IMG]

3. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Do we not get a break when we are here posting? :)Most everyone gets the 'point' whether it is spelled correctly or not. It would take me longer to post if I reread everything I typed and by then I'm way down the list. Or some one else beat me to a response.

4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    to: I am going to the chicken coop.
    too: I have chickens too.
    two: I have more than two chickens!

If you can use the word, also, then the correct form is too. That's a good test.

5. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Henry'schickens :

Do we not get a break when we are here posting? :)Most everyone gets the 'point' whether it is spelled correctly or not. It would take me longer to post if I reread everything I typed and by then I'm way down the list. Or some one else beat me to a response.

yes, fast typing is allowed!! I catch all kinds of typos in my posts and sometimes I submit them that way on accident. If you are in a hurry, to win the contests, then it does take too long to check grammar!! And, then you add dial-up to it, and you're even farther down the list. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:yes, fast typing is allowed!! I catch all kinds of typos in my posts and sometimes I submit them that way on accident. If you are in a hurry, to win the contests, then it does take too long to check grammar!! And, then you add dial-up to it, and you're even farther down the list. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Great!! no extra homework then? [​IMG]

7. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I can understand Wanting to correct grammar. With all due respect I feel that even when doing it in a playful manner it can come across as condesending. I choose to ignore mistakes so that every one feels comfortable. [​IMG]

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I think this is a great thread, but will be totally ignored by the folks in my part of the country!!!!!, They don't to much care for all that fancy book learnin and such. LOL you think I am kidding don't you, believe me I'm not!!!!, I really do struggle some times trying to bring my vocabulary down to their level every day SSHHHEEEEEESH.

AL

9. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    I have more than one personality. Some of me are grammatically correct and some of me isn't . lol [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]:barnie:frow:hit:tongue:plbb:confused::duc:rant:mad::yiipchick:jumpy:bun:sick

/
    I/me/us was/were going to come back and edit this for grammar but I/we/us couldn't decide and I/we/us are having an argument over what is correct. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  10. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    I had a sister in law who worked in a development center for the mentally challenged. It was in my beat so I stopped to visit everyday and say Hi!!
    I got to interact with those wonderful accepting people a lot. I would take them any day over some who look down long noses, and think they are smarter than most.

Good grammar is a desired quality most of the time. Humility, understanding, and common courtesy is the best quality ALL the time. In a debate a good sign as to a ill equipped participant is how quickly they resort to pointing out grammar.

As far as us we are rednecks, I guess that is why we find so much humor in ourselves. We just don't worry about petty things in life. There are more important things to worry about, and too much fun to be had in life without finding unnecessary things to stress over.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by