1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where's the weirdest spot your hens have laid?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken farmer, Sep 22, 2013.

1. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Name the strangest,weirdest spot your hen(s) have laid an egg......One time I was just watching my chickens as always and my white silkie hen was getting a drink and she just plopped out an egg out of nowhere and didn't even sit,cluck,or go and look at it,it just rolled down the hill in the pen and I went and got it and it was fine haha funny silkie.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    In one of my coops, I have shelves where I store supplies. One of my chickens used to fly up the the shelves and lay her eggs on them, even though she had perfectly good nest boxes to use instead.

3. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Right in the middle of a prickly pear bush, now I want to know how the heck does she think I must collect her and her eggs when she start to breed

4. Sweetest

Sweetest Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2013
    In a blue and white cooler. Other random places have been: in our patio herb garden, in a 12-gallon stone crock that we keep outside, and on top of the dog crate that is in their temporary coop. MOST of the time, thankfully, they lay in one spot.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    We had a top loader washing machine and I used to toss things in there as they got dirty and once the machine was full I'd do a wash. On more than one occasion I found an egg lying on top of the washing. We moved the machine outside eventually and it became a very popular "nest box". Another little hen I had loved coming into the house in the mornings to lay on our bed. DH liked a little lie-in in the mornings and she laid her egg right next to him more than once.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by