whet gender are my chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ruby Mia, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Ruby Mia

Ruby Mia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    i have 2 chicks that are almost 6 weeks old, but are different breeds so im having trouble with their genders. pip if a mix of a sultan and one of my x- battery hens so im not sure what breed and penny is a mix between my sultan and a grey hen i have but not sure what breed she is either. penny is 2 days younger but is a lot smaller than pip and has hardly any feathers compared to pip who is covoured in them. penny is also starting to grow her wattles. i have a fealing that penny is a rooster and pip is a her. what do you think? here are some pics;

[​IMG]Penny

[​IMG]penny

[​IMG]Penny

[​IMG]Penny

[​IMG]pip

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Ya, I agree with you. Penny looks like a little roo, and Pip looks like it could be a girl at this point. You can really see the sultan in them.

3. chickita12

chickita12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2013
    Penny is most likely a roo!Both are very pretty chicks![​IMG]

4. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    Thanks for the reply! is there any way it could still be a hen as we really dont want another rooster!

5. chickita12

chickita12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2013
    I would s├║ggest that maybe you wait a few more weeks because things could look very different in a couple weeks! At such a Young Age really the only 100% way to tell the difference between hen or roo is to hear it crow or lay an egg. I hope that I am wrong and she/he is a hen so you can keep her.I will keep my fingers crossed!
    [​IMG]

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Penny is probably a rooster, and Pip looks like a hen. Post pictures in a few more weeks to be sure, though!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    As they say, never totally give up until they crow or lay an egg, some chicks can fool you, and the younger they are the more likely it is to happen.
    They are still young, and like everybody else says, give them a few weeks and take more pictures.

8. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    Thanks for all your help! Will post more pictures in a few more weeks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by