Whether or not to butcher this bird?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by baltimoreharps, Apr 21, 2009.

1. baltimoreharps

baltimoreharps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    I have a thread going under EMERGECENIES (https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=167513 ). We have a Black Star hen that was fine this morning but is ill now. It is either an Egg Block, respiratory issue or both. We had her figured as either a younger bird that was just entering the laying phase or an older bird starting to exit the phase due to some shell-less eggs last week and the large but thin shelled ones she's now laying.

Our question is simply this:

We acquired this flock as layers and then meat birds once their production period was over. Should we process the hen for the table or simply put her down if need be considering her potential respiratory issue. Her breathing right now is raspy and gurgly. We are trying to save her with some meds (vitamins, antibiotics and warm bath soaks) as suggested in the other thread.

Need some input.

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Personally, if she has respiratory issues, I would butcher her immediately, and not even consider eating her. Not worth getting you and the rest of your family (and flock) sick.

Is she isolated currently?

3. baltimoreharps

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    Yes, she has been isolated in a nest box we have put in the bathroom.

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    After reading your other thread, I rescind my comment on butchering her immediately. I'm still fairly sure I wouldn't eat her, though. Hope she gets better for you.

5. Big George

Big George Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    I have an auraucana hen a year old. Early this spring she laid over on her side. I took her into the garare to isolate her. I was going to put her down but a friend said to give her a day or two. I kept checking in on her and she took some water. Two days and she had laid an egg. Shes now healthy and a good layer. If isolated give her a chance. Whatever you do do not eat a sick bird.

6. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    I didn't read the other thread but if a bird is even questionable I wouldn't eat it. Just not worth it.

7. baltimoreharps

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    Thanks for the thoughtful replies, but Hook passed away earlier tonight.She wasn't eating or drinking and was really ill.
    We gave her a burial spot by the pond and she will not be eaten.
    I really don't know if I have the emotions for culling, this hit my dd and I harder than expected.

Thank you all that replied, I really appreciate the honest and thoughtful replies and it's a lesson learned.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Shucks, sorry for your loss.

Nothing worse than to walk into the coop and find a cold, still bird. Been there, done that... but still don't have the BYC t-shirt.

Healing thoughts to you and your daughter.

9. baltimoreharps

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    Thank you Mahoni.
    Dh posted the original topic here in the meat birds forum as I was trying to take care of Hook when it *might* be a possibility that she could be culled.

After she passed, I just wanted to post myself.
    We're keeping watch over the rest of the flock tonight and in the week to come for signs of illness. They do have antibiotics in the water now and praying that we can keep what we have.

10. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Sounds like you handled it right. You isolated her and gave her a chance to try to recover.

I wonder if she was eggbound. I'm not sure if that is the correct term, but I know that is what they call it when a caged bird has trouble passing an egg. Judging from what you said though about the shell-less eggs, etc, she was in pretty rough shape and I would definitely NOT eat her.

I might be terribly wasteful, but I will not eat any bird that is sick or has physical deformities. You're just borrowing trouble.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by