1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHEW a close one....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shadowpaints, Jul 6, 2011.

1. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    so its been a crazy hectic day the last 7 days. yesterday morning i went to open the bator to check temp and make sure there were no stinky eggs....
    i look at the first row of 7 eggs.. thats weird i dont remember setting eggs on 6/16 hmm oh well, hatch day should be soon..... i go check the calender OH NO! hatch day is 7/7 !!! CRAP! i rush and plug the hatching bator in... wait an hour for it to reach temp..... dump in hot water to bring humidity up.. no time to candle to see if any are quitters.. start picking them up and putting them in the hatcher.. CRAP one has a PIP OMG with the other bator the humidity was 20% i was sure i killed all 7 eggs.. as of this morning (day 20) i have 2 beautiful buff std silkie chicks and 2 more pips!! OMG im soooo happy... i dont even think i candled these eggs at ALL LOL

im lucky non hatched in the turner!

2. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    make that 3 pipped now LOL

3. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    WOO HOO

I have a pip too. I hate this waiting.

4. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    woohoo another chick.. 2 buffs and a black so far!

5. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    now have 4 chicks lol

6. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Congrats !

I'm at day 13 and have 8 of the 24 I started with for sure alive and moving. 2 I can't see in. They are mixed chicks but this is my test run with the homemade bator.

Bigger one in the works as we speak [​IMG]

7. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    now there are 6 chicks!! 5 buffs and the 6th one is either blue or black ! only one egg left unhatched! and tomorrow is hatch day LOL

8. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    your lucky. i set 48 eggs and only 6 hatched.

9. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Shadow - nice Arab! (...at least I'm pretty sure it is...I can't recall ever seeing a paint with a head/neck/shoulder like that!)

ETA - I just looked at your website...I'm going to eat my hat! That's a mini &&&&& a paint?????!!! Nice looking horse - it looks like you've done a lot of good work into your horses.

Sorry this is off topic!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  10. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    Quote:LOL Hi kelly! thats our Miniature Stallion Cash... all 31 inches of him! haha! we try to do as best we can, with what we can afford, we have been lucky to be able to purchase such nice horses [​IMG]

he is a palomino pinto [​IMG] i love him, got him from CA!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by