Whew! Close Call with a German Shepherd

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mamachicken888, Oct 12, 2011.

1. mamachicken888

mamachicken888 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    Two guys came to pick up a truck we sold them today and brought their German Shepherd with them. They were hooking up the truck, and they left the door open where the dog was sitting. Even though my husband warned them about the dog, they said 'oh, he's ok, he won't hurt your chickens'. Right.

I was sitting in my office when I saw the big dog (had to be over 100 lbs) run past my window. I shot out the door like a rocket and got to the pen just in time to see my girls run screaming for the coop (they were in an enclosed run). The dog was absolutely frantic - running back and forth - trying to find a way into the run. The owners were right behind me trying to control the dog but guess what?... he wasn't listening. They finally got him by the collar and back to the truck.

If we hadn't been there, I shudder to think.

I didn't know if I could do it or not, but I was ready to tackle that dog with my bare hands.

I had a run-in like that with a German Shepherd when my daughter was just a baby. For some reason, that dog was after my baby in my arms! That was one of the most frighening incidents of my life. The dog kept jumping at her and I kept turning in circles trying to keep him away from her. We finally got inside and I fell to pieces.

Anyway, that's what it brought back today.

But all is well.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Oh, my, what a fright you had with your daughter, not to mention the chickens today! Glad you were there. It's quite rude to bring a dog to someone else's home, then not control it. My DH would have no problem dropping the dog right in front of the owner, I'm afraid.

3. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

but guess what?... he wasn't listening.

and this is why I dislike dogs, sure they sometimes listen - but they can also turn their brain off. [​IMG]

German Shepherds right along with Dobermans & Rottweilers had bad reputations before the whole pit bull thing.
    I was bitten by a German Shepherd in the shoulder when I was little, he ran up from behind me.​

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    "The owners were right behind me trying to control the dog but guess what?... he wasn't listening. They finally got him by the collar and back to the truck."

How many millions of times do we have to see the same movie!

5. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm glad you were there.

Yes it seems when a dog is in high prey mode they really don't hear at all. It doesn't matter what breed it is either.

6. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    that's why training with distractions are so important and why I will never trust my dogs 100%. Not because they aren't good dogs or well trained, but because I know that they are living creatures. Shoot, we don't expect people to behave correctly 100% of the time why would animals be any different.

Also, most people assume that because their dog is good at home with THEIR birds they will always be good with every chicken they see. Not even close....
    I'm glad that you were there. On the bright side, at least the people were trying to catch their dog. A lot of owners would have just stood back saying "Oh don't worry, he wants to play" [​IMG]

7. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Quote:Millions of times more because people 80% of the people out there really don't know how to handle or train dogs properly and think that a dog that has general obedience is trained.

8. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I am so glad you were there. And that your chickens are ok. That was a terrible experience when your daughter was little. But great news that everything worked out.

9. mamachicken888

mamachicken888 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    Thanks everyone.

Looking back on that situation with my girls, panic does stupid things to a person. I was out that door like a shot... and I ran right past (I'm not kidding you) right past the pepper spray sitting in the window by the door. If I had needed that pepper spray I would have had to go BACK in the house and get it. [​IMG] Thinking back on that.... I'm learning a lesson here too!

10. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    pepper spray doesn't always work on dogs. Just something to keep in mind. Honestly, best weapon for a dog attack is a big stick/club. I carry a baton for off-leash dogs when I take my boys out for a hike.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by