1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Whew! Winter coop/run is finished

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by elmo, Nov 1, 2009.

1. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Here's my new winter coop with attached run for our flock of five Serama hybrids:

[​IMG]

Because of the clear roof, it does get warm inside on sunny days, so I won't be using this coop except during winter. It cools off gradually through the night, so by morning it isn't any warmer in there than it is outdoors (but at least I know that there are no drafts). I may add a wee bit of supplemental heat in the form of a red lightbulb on our coldest nights.

Humidity is fine so far (there's a wireless temperature/humidity gauge there on the wall). I put sand on the coop floor, and there's a boot tray under the roost that I clean off every morning. You can't see it from this picture, but there's a pop door on the wall opposite the roost with a sliding inner door and a hinged outer door that leads to the run. You also can't see the covers for the front vent, because I have them open. I can close one or both sides of the vent. There's also a similar vent under the eave on the opposite wall.

Here's a picture showing how the front wall opens up for cleaning. That's Pokey, thinking about whether she wants to lay her egg in the indoor nestbox, or in the one kept outdoors in the run (she finally decided on the indoor one).

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Congratulations! It looks very nice!

3. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    congrats, looks great! love the idea of the boot tray!

4. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Very nice [​IMG] I love how the doors open nice & wide for easy cleaning....hmm...something else to mention to dh when building another coop [​IMG]

5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Looks great, would you please post a picture of the roof.
    Thanks

6. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    That's a good look'n coop, Elmo. I love the roof.

7. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Wow what a wonderful looking coop.

8. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

That really looks great! Did you use foam board insulation...the walls look pretty thick??? I like the idea of the clear roof to take advantage of the sun in the colder months. Seems like you could just tarp it or whatever and still use it when it gets hot again???

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:How's this?

[​IMG]

It's made from Suntuf panels, framed, then attached to the coop base on four posts. I had a devil of a time covering up the triangular spaces on the sides, though, because I won't use a power saw (I am attached to my fingers and want them to stay that way).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by