WHEW!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Ok So I have a tablet full of stuff so I don't have to KEEP asking questions that I know I learned already but forgot because this place is Just TOO full of info!

In the incubator the temp is 95.5 -100 and the humidity is 50% to start the hatch out...correct??

Then what day should you increase the humidity to 65-70 % Just right before hatch or a few days?

Then...do you leave your eggs right in the incubator to hatch? And when is it safe to move them to a brooder after hatching?

When you get chicks mailed through a hatchery they give the immunization for Mareks disease...what about your newly hatched chicks? Are they safe from that disease? Or are u suppose to immunize them?

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OH one more question...I am going to use an egg carton to hatch but is it ok to add paper towel on top of the screen because I don't want to leave them in the carton over night only while I can watch them. Does anyone else use paper towel?

3. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

You are correct on the temp. and humidity gets raised 3 days before the hatch. By then you should also stop turning them. Turn your incubator on and have it at a stable temp. 24 hours before you put the eggs in. Im not shure if other people do but I move my chicks to the brooder a few hours after they fluff out (make shure its warm enough). iv also never vaccinated any of my chickens or had them vaccinated and for the past 8 years they have been fine. Dont mix older chickens with younger chicks or barrow anyone elses chicken supplies (feeders, carriers, ect.) and you should be fine.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Very interesting link you sent Miss Prissy! Thanks...it's sure worth a shot [​IMG]

6. skennedy

skennedy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Denham Springs, LA
  7. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Many people use the paper towel or the spongy shelf liner. But, be careful that the paper towel does not soak up the water from your resevoir. your humidity will sky rocket. If you use paper cartons, they too will become soaked. Don't over fill the resevoir.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:I keep mine below 50%.

You might this information helpful

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

I would love to have humidity below 50%, but here in Louisiana, I am lucky to get below 95%. [​IMG]

Yep, there isn't much you can do about the natural humidity in the air. Last summer inside the bator was always 65% or more.

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:You are right on the temp and humidity, but look at the manufactures reccommended temps. The eggs must not be turned the last 3 days of incubation. Leave the chick in the incubator until it fluffs up. When chicks are mailed from the hatchery, you have to pay like .15 cents for each chick to have them vaccinated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by