Whew!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by keeperofthehearth, Jun 14, 2008.

1. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] It's very soft peeping and I can hardly stand the wait! I soooo want to check everything out but Tegan is a very nervous Dark Cornish so I am waiting patiently . . . not! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    We have 4 blue EE eggs under her and two of hers (Dark cornish X with our EE pretty boy Trevor.)
    I need to set up a broody pen for her now. I didn't want to move her fm her favoirte nesting basket until the peeps hatched. Now if she will only stay settled in her new digs when I move her. [​IMG]

This is the first time we've had a broody hatch
    I just moved Tegan after I checked under her. One chick dry and peeping. One dead. Looks as if the egg stuck partly to it and it was crushed/smoothered.
    One is just pipped and one egg looks pretty crushed. Should I take the hatched chick out & put it under a light?
    I'm a bit afraid Tegan is going to crush these little ones. She's being kinda rough. That one egg looks as if it's been stepped on instead of just hatching. ADVISE PLS!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

3. keeperofthehearth

Should I just check on the hatch every hour or so?

4. keeperofthehearth

[​IMG] 3 hatched, one pipped, one ?, one dead. I think I'm as stressed as Tegan. [​IMG]

5. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    oh, good luck! how exciting and how sad that you lost one chick. I hope the others do well.

6. keeperofthehearth

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    5 little EE peeps this a.m. 3 pure EE's if you can call them that & two first generation EE X Dark Cornish. [​IMG]
    Pic's hopefully in the next day or two.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by