1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which 16 week old Blue Wheaten Maran rooster should I keep?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by stacylynn, Dec 30, 2013.

1. stacylynn

stacylynn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    Black Diamond, WA
    Hi, I'm wondering if anyone out there can help me.

Tomorrow, I'm giving away one of my 16 week old Blue Wheaten Maran roosters. One rooster my daughter named Squeak..he was a little skittish when I got him at 4 weeks and still is a little skittish now. He hasn't quite figured out his crow yet...still sounds like a hawk. He keeps his distance from my other hens when I let them all free-range together.

The other rooster, Squawk, was easy to hold before I put him outside. He isn't skittish. He does ruff his neck feathers at only one of my hens. He isn't afraid of the hens. It almost seems like he prefers to be around them.

If anyone can help me choose which one to keep, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Stacy

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    are they both the same age? and what are you looking for? breeding, protector or pet?

3. stacylynn

Apr 29, 2012
    Black Diamond, WA
    They are both the same age. I am looking for a protector because I have one blind hen.

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    unless they are fighting each other i would keep them both because as soon as you get rid of one something may happen to the other. murphys law. lol if you only keep one then squawk sounds like the better roo.

5. stacylynn

Apr 29, 2012
    Black Diamond, WA
    I think they "play fight" because no feathers are being lost and there's no blood being drawn. Also no awful squawking. But sometimes after they fight one (Squeak) runs inside the coop for a little while.

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    if you take the head rooster away the other will take his place so it may not matter which one goes. it sounds like they are ok with each other for now.

7. stacylynn

Apr 29, 2012
    Black Diamond, WA
    Thank you. Your info helps.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd keep squeak. I like my roosters more stand-offish, they're more respectful of humans. I've never been attacked by a properly respectful rooster that keeps his distance from me.

your guys are young yet, just hitting adolescence. You'll be amazed how their personalities change over the next 4ish months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by