Which 2 of my 4 hens are laying the eggs? (pics)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jiskra, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Jiskra

Jiskra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Maryland
    So I got 5 eggs total so far, first one found on friday, small light brown. Saturday and Sunday found one each day, large darker brown. This morning found 2 eggs, small light brown and larger darker brown.
    here is a picture:
    the one on the left bottom was found yesterday and the other two this morning.
    [​IMG]

here's my hens:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

they are all 28 weeks today.

I think the australorp and the darker red star are laying them

[​IMG]

the question is which one lays which?
    I am thinking australorp (Bella) lays the darker bigger one and sex link (Sunshine) lays the smaller light one.
    The bigger eggs weigh 2.3oz and the smaller ones 1.7oz what size would they be considered? large and medium?

These are my first chickens/eggs ever and I am super excited [​IMG]

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    If you really want to know who is laying which egg, you can put a little food coloring on their vents (different color for each bird). You'll be able to tell who laid what by what color the eggs have on them. Sizes would be medium and extra large [​IMG]

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It is a lot of fun to go spy on them. For two days in a row, when they are in full bore lay, go out to the house early. See who's in the nesting box. Keep a chart. When the first hen gets off, see who goes next, etc. Note the egg that each lays. It is a lot of fun and helps you determine who is laying what. It is kind of a cross between being a charge nurse and a National Geographic Animal behavioral observer. It's very helpful to the husbandry of your flock. Yes, it takes a bit of your time, but it is worthwhile.

4. Jiskra

Jiskra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Maryland
    Quote:ohh good idea, I will try that [​IMG]

It is a lot of fun to go spy on them. For two days in a row, when they are in full bore lay, go out to the house early. See who's in the nesting box. Keep a chart. When the first hen gets off, see who goes next, etc. Note the egg that each lays. It is a lot of fun and helps you determine who is laying what. It is kind of a cross between being a charge nurse and a National Geographic Animal behavioral observer. It's very helpful to the husbandry of your flock. Yes, it takes a bit of your time, but it is worthwhile.

I went in there at 7am this morning and they were both in there, the smaller one in the nest and the big one in the middle of the coop, big one still warm, small one really cold. I might get up at 6am tomorrow and try to catch them [​IMG]

so much fun!​

5. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I think you are right on in your assumption of who is laying. The Australorp looks like she is laying, can't see the red star too well. But I think you are right about the BA, they are all beautiful btw [​IMG] [​IMG] I would do the food color thing if they are easily handled [​IMG] good luck!

6. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Your hens a lovely! I have 6 pullets starting to lay right about now, I should have 3 silkie eggs, a blue and two dark brown eggs when they all eventually start.
    So far, I have had 2 silkie (in a day) and a blue, but I also have a 2 older hens who lay but someone is laying brown egg with lots of darker brown spots so
    I don't know if it is last years hen or either welsummer or marans!! The only thing i can think of is that it is a normal size egg so is probably older hen as pullets are normally smaller to start off with???
    Anyway just wanted to say that I get very excited every day about what eggs i get and who from!!
    Here is a pic of my first blue and first silkie egg, both laid on new years day!!

[​IMG]

Good luck with finding out who is who and what is what lol!!

7. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I don't have a red star, but my australorp actually lays a smaller, light brown egg and my black stars lay larger and darker colored eggs.

8. Hillary and friend's eggs

Hillary and friend's eggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2010
    First of all, that is one nice flock you have! [​IMG]

Secondly, I think the lighter brown may be the black austrolorp. When I had an austrolorp, she layed eggs just like that in color, at first around that size, but they were soon the biggest eggs I ever got. Also, my austrolorp would almost never skip a day (except in winter). Austrolorps are great layers, and very friendly birds. You are very lucky to have one![​IMG]

9. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    My red sex links lay larger, darker brown eggs. Most weigh out to what would be considered large or extra large. I don't have an austalorp (yet) but my dominiques lay a medium to large, lighter brown egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by