which age to putting baby chicks in the chicken home outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by beajaeger, Oct 27, 2008.

1. beajaeger

beajaeger Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    Dalton, GA
    How old should baby chicks be to live in their chicken home? I will still put warming red light into it to make them comfrtable. Any suggestion is welcome [​IMG]

2. Dottie Pratt

Dottie Pratt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Arkansas
    Great Question!!!!

I'd like to know also.

Dottie

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Chicks can go into the coop at any time you can provide them with a predator-proof enviroment that you able to keep at the proper temp. per their age.
    My chicks started in a shed with heat lamps and an additional heater to keep them at the 90 degree range for the first week. That was in early April, when the weather was pretty much like it is today; 50s in the daytime with blustery winds, 30s at night.
    If you don't have older chickens already in the coop and you can get your coop to the proper temp. with heat lamp(s), they can go in it at any age. For the first few weeks you might want to create a smaller space within the coop to confine them.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, I raise my chicks outside with the heater on and take it away from them at about 6 weeks old.

5. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Quote:So if my older chicks are fully feathered I can take the light away?
    When did you make a move to Corvallis? Now we're almost neighbors [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

Sure, if they are feathered, you can take the light away. It doesn't get that cold out here in the PNW. I took the light away when night temps were still in the 40's and they did fine. Just make it draft free.

I got down here and have been between WA and OR since July or so. This is my 4th solid week down here and can't wait to go visit home again to see the birds! Previously I was home for a week or so every few weeks. LOL

7. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    well it gets like 10 or 20 below zero here. and i have 16 chickens living in the same coop. 4 of them are about 1 year old, 3 of them are about 6 months, and 9 of them are just turning 6 weeks old... will they be fine without a heat lamp or do i need to provide one???

8. silkiechicken

The ones that are 6 weeks old might have to have one at those temps, however, over time they will get bigger and become more acclimated to the weather where you are. Just make sure the coop isn't drafty and that there is ample ventilation since high humidity plus cold = worse than just cold.

The 6 weekers shouldn't be kept with the adults though till they can stand up to them and make sure they can't be pecked on/hurt by the adults. If the coop is sub divided, they should be fine. At those temps, a bit of heat for the youngins would be great. I know there are members here with cold temps like that who don't give heat, but then again, I met someone living in the NW with a heater for their birds that keep them at 50+F year round!

9. beajaeger

beajaeger Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    Dalton, GA
    Thank you all for your advice. I really appreciate all of you:)

10. dastardlydeed

dastardlydeed Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2008
    Hatboro, Pa
    mine have been raised in a baby pool in the attic surrounded by the pvc lattice. worked very well. at 7 weeks they are fully feathered so they were moved into the garage, still with their light. i think another week and they will go outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by