Which antibiotic for a wound?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I have a CX pullet that has a deep wound in her side. I have been treating with daily applications of neosporin, but it's very slow to heal.
I would like to give her a shot of antibiotics to speed up the healing process, but I don't know which one to give. I'm assuming penicillin?
What antibiotic would you recommend and at what dosage (for an 8 lb. bird)?

TIA
smile.png

It would have to be a small amount of penicillin, because if I remember right, I give the alpacas, who weigh about 140-165#'s about 6-8 CC's depending . . .I know you don't have this, but I have a tea tree oil ointment that I order from a company out in Idaho that has the best healing qualities of anything I have ever seen. Even DH who makes fun of me about stuff I get excited about admits this healing quality is stupendous. I bet the local health food store might have something similar. Good luck . . .poor chicken!!

Quote:
Thanks WW. Actually I do have some tea tree oil, I think. I'll have to go foraging in the medicine closet. If I can't find it in there, there is no health food store in town, but there is an old timey pharmacy that may have it.

How do I apply it, please?

If its a deep wound, which I think you said it was, maybe a q-tip to dab it into the hole? It might sting too, so be prepared!! Hope it helps. It worked wonders on my male alpaca that cut his feet on some metal we had stupidly left in the pasture working on the barn.

Honey is often used as a nutural antibiotic as well. Makes for better eating than tea tree oil.

But on another angle external treatments applied to the outside of the wound can be a good barrier to external bacteria, but they do little to fight the bateria from the inside.

Good nutrition and supliments can help the body fight what ever is attacking it, but beyond that you may need to look to antibiotis to counter the bacteria.

A vet may know best which ones are best based on the suspected bacteria involved, otherwise it is just a matter of recognising that antibiotics are needed and getting them on board right away before the bacteria gets a head start. Follow them through fot the full course but be prepaired to switch to something different/stronger if one does not work. Injected forms are certainly going to get at the bacteria faster than anything that goes in through digestion.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom