Which antibiotics should I use?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunflowerfarms, Oct 10, 2012.

1. sunflowerfarms

sunflowerfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2012
    My favorite chicken got attacked and has a 2x3 inch hole in her back. She seems to be doing a lot better today and to my surprise just layed an egg 5 minutes ago!!! :) I have been feeding her eggs and honey water.

OK Question:

I have heard that she needs antibiotics. I was going to take her to the vet tomorrow and get some from them, but that is $70 cheapest. Can I just use antibiotics from the feed store? Are those the same antibiotics that she needs right now? Are the vet's antibiotics better?

2. sunflowerfarms

Mar 9, 2012
    Thank you! I will look at that.

3. sunflowerfarms

Mar 9, 2012
    That post says not to cover up the wound with a bandage because it does not allow air and the chickens will grow back skin very quickly. I stuck gauze on the wound and used a lot of neosporin on the wound as well. I didn't really allow for good air circulation because it is such a huge cut and I was afraid it would dry out too much or something. Is that just a bad idea at all? Her comb is starting to look a little bit limpy too. :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by